Labor Pain Relief?

So this is a hypothetical question...if you are having a VAGINAL delivery and an epidural wasn't available either due to not being used anymore, being illegal or whatever, what would you do for pain relief?

Just honestly curious since I see so many women claim they cannot labor without one. I personally will never get one but that is because I understand the risks all too well and have way too many back problems already.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would do it naturally, already did and it wasn't bad by any means.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I honestly had both of my kids naturally at a midwife. With Trinity, they forced me to take like 1/4 dose of nubain because of my keytones and length of the labor- 20 hours in the end of july in florida with the a/c going out in the house that day. Labor started at 2:30am with contractions 1 1/2 minutes in length every 6 minutes... with Tristen, I listened to the hypnobirthing cd 3 times (just the first track) and was able to do it with NO help at all. It was so easy to labor with him- total of 8 hours. I was at home for first 5 1/2 hours.
    TARAmisu80

Answer by TARAmisu80 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Oh yeah, being in the jacuzzi tub definitely helps during labor, too!!!!
    TARAmisu80

• I would do it naturally, too. You can get IV pain medications, but these can affect the baby's respirations and heart rate. Personally, I would do it naturally before I took IV medications.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Naturally, I would just breathe through it and let my body do its job. I had a child naturally once, it was not orgasmic, but not terrible.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 11:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I have had five children all without any medication. All you can do is try to relax and breath through the pain. Do the things that they teach in Lamaze or the Bradly method. Also stay focused on the end result ,a beautiful baby, and know once that baby is out the pain will be gone.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I had my son naturally....And was cut and stiched up......And had to have a DNC afterwards and they had to scrape my insides because my son decided to poop in me, LOL. It was my pay back because I did the same to my mom. I was then bleeding too much and had horrible cramping and had to get way too many shots in my leg because I was bleeding too much. I did all of this without ANY pain medicine. I am like anti-medicine. LOL. And I will NEVER get a Epidural because I dont like needles for one and because I saw my mom get one (I was 14) and she was delivering my little sister and the guy messed up and she was in HORRIBLE pain. Her scream made me drop the video camera and cry myself. Lol. So I vowed that day I would never get one.
    Tiger_Tatted

Answer by Tiger_Tatted at 8:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I delivered my son by telling people tp leave me alone, stop touching me...sweating ...a lot of breathing(no certain method...just trying to relax....) And by counting the quares on the ceiling(there were 42, LOL). I have this thing with counting things. I could everything. Corners, ceiling tiles, walls, straight lines, anything that can be counted. It is a "focus point". And a better "focus point" than a picture, LOL.
    Tiger_Tatted