How would you feel if...

Your son/daughter told you this:

Mom, Dad's girlfriend Vanessa told me that if they get married, she will be like my mom.
But I told her, nuh uh, I already have a mom.

I was really shocked to hear my son say that!
And I will admit that it made me really, really, really MAD!

What kind of woman will tell someone else's children a thing like that? Seriously?

It made me proud that my son had my back, so to speak, and he spoke up for me.

I just couldn't believe this woman had the nerve to say something like that. She must have known I would find out about it. I would never tell my boyfriend's kids anything like that. It's just wrong on so many levels.

How many of you have had this sort of thing happen?
How did it make you feel?
And what did you do about it?

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 5:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If they got married she would be your sons step-mom so isn't that what she was saying? Maybe she wasn't being spiteful or disrespectful and she was just explaining what it would mean if they marry. Maybe she wasn't saying it like she would replace you. Then again, maybe not
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 6:06 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I've never been in a position as a mom to have that happen, but as a child I did. Trust me, you don't want your child doing what I did--punching her in the face is not good for anyone--especially the child. I say it takes a very low rent mind to do something like that to a child. She would only be his STEPmom and that relationship is easily ended.

If I were you, I'd have a chat with the father of this child. Let him know exactly how you feel about what she did. And suggest he put a shorter leash on her in the future when your child is around. Then go buy the kid some ice cream! LOL Don't call her names or anything in front of him though. If something (GOD FORBID) happens to you, your son might have to live under her roof. You don't want to influence his opinion of her. She'll do that all on her own. And remember, you only have your son's impression of the conversation. He may have heard something she didn't say. GL
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 6:11 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Maybe you can think of it another way. I seriously doubt she would try to replace you, but when your son is with her would you not want her to treat him as her own? If I was marrying a man with a child I would love that child too.
    sassfire

Answer by sassfire at 6:14 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Take the high road. It'll be hard on you, but in the end, your son will thank you for it. I've been a child in a divorce. I've been the step mother, and now I'm the ex wife.

SimplyLaine is right. Kids don't alway hear what they think they do. Taking the high road is always the way to go.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:14 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'm sure they'll many worse things to be mad about while trying to co-parent with his Dad and Step-mom. She will be like a mom, the key word is like. She wouldn't be his mom, but yes she would be like a mom.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:52 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I don't think I'd be upset by what she said. If she marries his dad, then she will be his step-mom. It's not like she told him she's going to be his new mommy. She said she's going to be LIKE his mom. It doesn't sound like she's being mean or spiteful about it. She's probably just telling him that so he will feel comfortable with her. So when he's with his dad and her, he'll be able to talk to her and get the same comfort as if he was with you. I know some step-moms do try to replace the real mom, but that doesn't sound like what's going on here. Don't you want her to treat your son as if he were her own?
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• SheKll never be his mom and he knows that
    shedevil59

Answer by shedevil59 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 16, 2010