Exzcema

Both my daughters have exzcema and the chlorine from the pool aggravates it. Does anyone know what I can do to help before it happenes?

MooNFaeRie30

Asked by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:22 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My dr told me to rinse my son as soon as he came out of the pool - like in the shower at the bath house and then coat him with lotion. We use Aveeno Soothing Relief Cream, which is really thick. My dr also said it's likely a dairy allergy, but that cow's milk is so far superior nutrition wise to any other milk substitutes that unless it is bothering the child, she didn't recommend eliminating it. I've also found that if his eczema isn't flared up when we go to the pool, it's not as bad when we get out so we're using the hydrocortisone more religiously this summer to keep it from coming up.

Answer by missanc at 6:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My son has had eczema for years. We have tried all sorts of creams, lotions, powders, etc. The best thing I have found is to put Vaseline over the areas where he is prone to get it after his baths. His skin looks great so far this summer!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I agree. Vaseline before a flare-up, so put it on again before they go in the water. And make sure they rinse right away after swimming.
    highestshelf

Answer by highestshelf at 6:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Well, I wouldn't suggest this for places that will sun exposed, but my doctor told me to put baby oil on mine after a bath and then put eucerine cream on it. It's helped so far, Vaseline did nothing for my eczema.

MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 7:03 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Shea butter will help heal the skin, not mask the problem like petroleum products. Eczema is often caused by food allergies/sensitivities. Gluten & dairy are major culprits. You should have blood tests done to find the source of the problem.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We use organic coconut oil. Works great!
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2010