Does anyone know anything about mosquitos and mosquito bites???

I am literally covered in mosquito bites for the 5th summer in a row since moving to NC. I don't know, they love me, but I don't love them back! I've tried normal repellents, but they still seem to manage to get me. Plus, I seem to have a terrible reaction to them too. I also tried normal anti itch creams and they only give partial relief.

I guess what I'm asking is, are there any strong mosquito repellents and creams that I could possibility get with a prescription? I've tried everything!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Health

• some people swear by avon's 'skin-so-soft' as a repellent. idk, never tried it. have you tried taking benedryl to alleviate the itch-factor? my mom uses corn-starch on anything that itches her.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:37 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Dr. Oz says lemon eucolyptis is the best...check out this web site...
    http://www.drozfans.com/dr-ozs-advice/dr-oz-lemon-eucalyptus-oil-mosquito-repellant-summer-pests/
    Good luck!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 7:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Wear dark clothing that will help. I love Skin so soft as the above mom mentioned. When I get bug bites that drive me crazy I dab nail polish remover on them, to help dry them up IDK works for me. and again like the above mom try benedryl. Don't wear perfume good luck
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:48 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• are you using something with DEET in it? thatseems to be the only repellant that will work now, since misquitos will bite thru anythig less powerful. also if you are that covered and truly allergic, go see your doctor. I have to mention you might want to go see him anyways because misquitos carry such horrible illnesses: west nile, malaria, avian flu....that many bites and you can be very very sick. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:00 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Good answer !! bearsjen
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• http://www.off.com/clip-on-mosquito-repellent/

This works like a CHARM! Just wear it around yoru neck & you will not get bitten. I am just lke you, i cannot even walk to the mailbox without getting nailed. And when i do get bit, hey are like HUGE welts! It looks like i got shot with a paint ball gun. This is a bit more expensive, but it really works, & you don't have to spray yourself with some nasty chemical that smells lik ass. I use it every day in my garden where it is mosquito infested.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Anything with deet in it should provide good protection.

Mosquitoes don't wander far from where they hatch and they lay their eggs in water.  In the Spring make sure you have no standing water around your property, and it doesn't take much.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:06 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yes, my usual spray has 7% DEET in it and I still get covered in bites, even though I'm super careful to get it all over me. Thanks for the advice though, I think I'll give some of the alternatives a try too.
    TopBrit

Answer by TopBrit at 3:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2010