My son is 9 Months....I am having another baby is December (boy) I want to know if its ok if.....

I have a baby shower AKA happy to be having another baby party...in my home and invite only very close family and friends something like 15 people.... I had a big one with my 1st born it was 65 people....is this tacky to do...I reallly dont want anything just to be hapy with people i love and share this happy time

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't think it's tacky at all, you just want to share your joy with the people you love - go ahead & do it, I totally would:) CONGRATULATIONS by the way*
    Ellie15

Answer by Ellie15 at 7:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• personally I think it is tacky. These people just but you stuff. A better way to go is to wait until after the baby is born then throw a party to celebrate the baby and so that everyone can 'meet' him. don't expect gifts but I am sure you will get them. I know I always buy the new baby something and bring the older sibling a little something as well so as not to feel left out
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:51 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• itsa only tacky if you are doing it for gifts. I personally think it is tacky to thro your own shower BUT not tacky to invite people over and say to them 'this is a party just to get together and have a good time to celebrate that our family is growing" or something like that. Make sure you say NO GIFTS but just that you want them there because you love them.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:51 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• To be honest with you I don't think most people will appreciate it. Being you just had a baby and a shower and its a another baby boy. People won't tell you to your face but they will say it behind your back... I have heard many people talk about such things. If I were you I wouldn't do it. If you want it to be a time just to get together and have fun with close family and friends I would do it after the baby is born...and it would be just a party... not a shower. Then everyone can see the new baby. (:
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I don't think it's tacky, however, I wouldn't call it a "baby shower." Why not just invite your close family and friends "to celebrate another baby boy on the way" and tell them you don't want anything other than their love and support?
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:58 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I only see it as tacky if you call it a baby shower, for people will assume gifts are required. Call it a CELEBRATION, or simply family get together.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:00 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think it depends on how you do it. If you present it as a shower, even though you don't want presents and you tell people that, there are a lot of people who will think that you do, and that you're doing it for presents (especially since you're hosting it yourself).

BUT -

There's nothing that says you can't invite some friends over, or have a bbq, or something. Do NOT mention ANYTHING about it being a celebration of you having a new baby when you ask them. THEN, when they get there, you're having your party, your bbq, your women friends / family over for the afternoon, whatever - then, when they're all there, you can make an announcement along the lines of thanking them all for coming to help you celebrate the wonderful new life that's joining your family. You can even have some baby decorations, or welcome banners, etc up.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:01 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• cont

By the way, I should add that this is how Miss Manners suggests that people who want to celebrate their birthday or anniversary by throwing a party but don't want people to think they're "gift grubbing" do it. The whole invite people to a party with no mention of the occasion until they're there.

If it works for your own birthday or anniversary, I don't see why you couldn't do it to celebrate a new baby :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:03 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my second child my mom had a baby shower for me......but......she requested that the guests (who were only close family) bring a frozen meal for me instead of a present for the baby. That way when I got home from the hospital I would only have to take something out of the freezer and warm it up. I had enough meals for 2 weeks of dinners......it was great and so much better than presents for the baby that I didn't need, considering my boys were only 13 months apart.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:05 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• yes it,s ok i hope that you have alot of support and help good luck.
    glo360

Answer by glo360 at 8:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2010