Tonsils out at 2?

My dd is 2 and the dr decised to have her tonsils removed. Her tonsils have been enlarged for several months with no relief and now they are getting bigger +3 (+4 means they are touching). What can I do for her after surgery to make her feel better? I was 5 when I had mine out and so I understood what was happening where she won't. How do I get her to eat and drink?

kwardrip

Asked by kwardrip at 10:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My DD had hers out when she was 2 yrs 8 months old. Make sure she can drink from a regular glass first off, because they can not suck from a sippy or a straw after - it can cause bleeding. Also, lots of cuddles, maybe a new lovey or two (I made my dd a fleece tie blanket, in the hospital was the first time she had it, and my mom bought her a stuffed sheep), use the meds prescribed! (my hubby didn't and paid for it). Lots of soft cold foods, but no red jello - it can make it look like the sites are bleeding. Don't push her to eat or drink - but encourage it. If it helps, spoon feed her drops of liquid. Some would really pounce on me for this, but baby her - it really helped us!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Tylenol, popsicles, soft foods such as soup, jello, pudding, scrambled eggs, bed rest, try to keep her from talking
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2008