Name brand/prescrip. versus over-the-counter prenatal?

In my own OBGYN practice, two different doctors recommended two different things: for my first pregnancy, I was on Prenatal Elite. When I went back recently (my son is 9 months old) and asked another doctor, he said the women's muti-vitamin I was taking was just as adequate for prenatal care. In my own research, and what the second Dr. said, basically was that the increase in folic acid is insignificant in the prescription. The major difference is that I pay $35 a month for Prenatal Elite. I don't mind paying the $, but why do it if it's a waste? So, what have you all been taking and what guidance have you been given? I've just been taking my women's multivitamin + eating cereal with folic acid (Total is the best for this but also Whole Foods' brand Morning O's).

JRB101009

Asked by JRB101009 at 8:28 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i went to health food store to get mine...my doc did not like the national brands.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 8:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• when i was prego i could not take the prenatual pills they made me sick and my obgyn told me to take the kiddie vitamans twice a day.... and i would get the same amount.... so thats what i done and it cost me about 8 dollars for two months
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 8:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'm on CitraNatal 90 DHA...same as I had with my last pregnancy. It is a prescription prenatal vitamin and a dha capsule.
    I have to have the prescribed one because it has the extra iron that I need...I have iron defficient anemia.
    My insurance covers the cost of most of my prescriptions and this is one of them....so it wasn't a hard decision for me! LOL
    There is over the counter prenatals ... They are inexpensive too....I bought some from Marcs before for around $7
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:39 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I asked my doctor about this and he said that he felt that the over the counter vitamins did not have suffiecient amounts of the nutrients and minerals needed for the baby. He felt that the prescriptions brands were better for the baby.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I took Women's One A Day daily before getting pregnant. My doc said that was just fine unless I just wanted a prescription. I stuck with the One A Day.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I bought my off the shelf at Walmart. HELLOOOOOO.....it is a vitamin. It is not medicine. It is just a daily vitamin. Help keep your medical coverage down buy using over the counter options whenever possible.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:21 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The day I found out I was pregnant I went to the pharmacy and bought an over the counter prenatal vitamin. When I went for my first OB/GYN appt my doctor told me to just keep taking the vitamins I bought.
    pinkie8986

Answer by pinkie8986 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 16, 2010