daycare for 6 month old??

I have been a stay-at-home mom with our baby girl since she was born...she is now about to turn 6 months old. I have started to consider going back to work part-time. This would mean either finding a daycare for her or someone that watches just a few little ones at their home (which I think I'd feel more comfy about). It would really help out if I did find a job that pays well...help with car note and traveling. How should I go about deciding on what to do? Anyone else in this same situation??

MarieEliz

Asked by MarieEliz at 8:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ask around. get personal references, with either choice. even when you walk-through a childcare facility, you're going to be uneasy. none are as perfect as you want them to be. however, you can check the BBB for any judgements/etc against them. find one with a low child:teacher ratio, if possible. if its state-run, they will all have the same guidelines, probably. private daycare is not regulated the same.
    whatever you decide, be OK with your decision. if it feels wrong, keep looking. if time isn't of the essence, you're doing well. if you need to go to work soon, you may have to pick something, while you continue to search. your child will be fine, though; don't let anyone tell you going back to work is wrong, for whatever reason you need to return to the workforce. tons of children are in childcare, and they are all perfectly cared for, and well-adjusted. if there aren't any other children in the home, its a great option.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:01 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• interview and ask questions go to the daycare at different times of the day to see how they do things. I used to run a daycare I had an open door policy with the parents except at nap time I asked them to knock quietly first before walking in ( I posted a not on the door every day to remind them. You want some place that also has an open door policy. I had a schedule that I gave to each parent that we tried to stick to I was flexible with it to a point but we did try to stick to it, That way if a parent ewas dropping off late they would know what we were doing and where we were doing it. I always carried my cell phone when we left the house so parents could still reach me.
    Did you ever think of opening your own in home daycare????
    I work nights DH works days that way we don't need a sitter. What ever works for your family.
    I would also ask around
    good luck
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• BUMP!

i have been a SAHM for almost 20 yrs...i have no clue...i wish you luck though if this is the route you must take...i'm giving you a bump. have a good weekend.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 9:05 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• contact your local child care resource and referral agency for a listing of licensed providers in your area
    www.childcareaware.org
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You can get leads on personal sitters at care.com and sittercity.com if you want to consider it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• research reasearch research!!! and do random drop ins!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My older son has been in day care for YEARS and he is actually sick less than most kids. He was only absent two times this year and once was because the little twerp faked being sick.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I wouldnt leave my son with an individual- Id rather it be day care. At least day is helded to some time of standard and licensing. A woman who is at her own home is by her self no one to question her- how do you know shes not leaving your kid is a poop filled diaper for 5 hrs at a time? Hopefully, at a day care theres 3-10 people there and someone would change you kid...

pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Thanks for ALL the responses. I am new to this site and feel silly because I forgot to mention that we are living in Grafenwoehr,Germany at the moment. My husband is stationed here. Anyone farmilar with this area?? Please leave me info about this topic if so :-) THANKS!!
    MarieEliz

Comment by MarieEliz (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If the daycare is a quality center you have nothing to worry about. However, do your homework first. Check to make sure they are accredited and in good standing with licensing. I have a neighbor that does in home care and she does a wonderful job. My oldest has been with her for 3 yrs and my youngest since mid-February. Licensing does check on her because she is registered and everything has worked out just fine.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 12:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2010