2 year old sneaking around at night! HELP!

So, my 2 year old has been opening his door and coming out of his room to find me for quite sometime now. It was always in the morning when he wanted to climb in bed with me and cuddle for just a few minutes before going about our daily routine. He would slam his door shut so I would always hear him get up, even if he had a bad dream and came running into my husband and I in the middle of the night.

Now, he is closing his door real lightly so no one can hear him come out of his room in the middle of the night and getting into whatever he can get his hands on that he knows he's not supposed to be touching. I.E - Hydrogen Peroxide (that is now put way up in a high place), the 'fridge, his new baby sister's room!

Any suggestions as to how to get a handle on this?

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 9:25 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get a baby gate and put it across his door way. Then child proof it so he can't get out without your help. This could be dangerous, especially if he were to figure out how to get out of the house. The other alternative would be to install some kind of alarm system that would alert you when he was on the prowl.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:27 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• lock his door from the outside or put an alarm on it, one of those really annoying ones that when it sepereates (one part is on door on is on frame) makes a really loud annoying noise
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:29 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Both of my children have done the same thing, so what I did was install a baby gate that they couldn't open or climb over, that I installed on the outside part of the door jam/frame. This way they could open their bedroom door, but were still confined.

I later taught them that they were not allowed to come out of their rooms until their alarms clocks went off--I had them set to a "muzak/elevator music" station. And set the time to a reasonable 6:00AM--since young children tend to get up early since they go to bed early.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• get a baby gate! If he can climb over them or undo them then stack it two high that way he cant do either. GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Baby Gate may work for awhile..untiil he learns how to scale over the top of it,lol.
    Maybe one of those little door alarms..like they have in stores...when someone walks through a door it gives a "DING DONG" sound,lol.
    Nail/Glue everything you own to the ceiling...
    Good Luck! :) lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I was going to say the same as SabrenaLeigh, double baby gates LOL They are tricky little people aren't they!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I've had friends install a wooden screen door to the outside of the kid's room so that it opens in the hall way. Use a hook latch in three places and tell the kids...if you get up, fine...just stay in your room. Most times the would find her on the floor with her blanket sleeping int the morning. she eventually grew out of it. The first few nights were difficult though. she didn't like that new door! but it worked!
    dstoeck

Answer by dstoeck at 9:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'd do the baby gate and the door alarm - the baby gate will (temporarily) stop him, and the alarm will tell you that he's up so that you can immediately tell him no and put him directly back to bed. This way, he's not just stopped, but can also learn.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• we used an eye hook on our sons door due to night time wandering prior to potty training completion. if you son is potty trained that wont work though. i suggest a cheap alarm. not even kidding. go to the hardware store and they have door alarms so you know when a door has been opened. works wonders in our house
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:37 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i have the same exact problem!!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:40 AM on Jul. 16, 2010