Adoped a Guinea Pig and trying not to shock it.

We adopted our piggie of craigs list and in the past week the poor thing got a new family, a name (other family never named it), and a much bigger cage. I know this is a lot of change for her. She has been kept all alone for 2 years and I know it is best for them to be kept in pairs or groups, but should I wait to get her a friend? How long should I let her get adjusted before springing yet another change on her.

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Pets

• the pet store told us when we got ours (male) that they are fine being alone as long as you play with them daily..they need attention. They said that 2 males shouldnt be housed together because then they would have guinea pig wars and male and female shouldnt be together (obviously because then there would be unwanted babies) i'm not sure about 2 females though..you could ask. I think the piggy would be fine as long as you play with it daily
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I had a gueina pig and loved it. Remember play with it and take it out in the grass..keep an eye on it. ...and don't give it lots of lettuce because it could get wet tail disease
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i wouldnt take it out in the grass right now..he could get fleas..wait until it starts getting cooler. we let ours run around the living room..the cats even play with him..he climbs on their bellys and they sniff each other..so cute!!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have 9 guinea pigs and from my experience, they love the companionship. Since everything is new to her right now, a new addition probably won't be too traumatic as long as it's a female because she's too old to get pregnant. If you get her a buddy, it's best to introduce them gradually and in a neutral environment like on the floor or something. If you have any questions, you can message me!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Well I got a 12 week old female to bring home. The c&c cage was just built for her yesterday so it is new to the one we adopted. We are doing floor time for them and putting a few grids to seperate them till I know the baby will not be harmed. The vet told me that a baby is will bond to her better than another adult. So here is to hoping that the herd grows to love each other.
    Alanaplus3

Comment by Alanaplus3 (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• C&C cages are the way to go. My husband built a huge one that takes up half the living room. We have grids separating them too. The females are in a cage on the upper level and we have two males to a section. There are three alpha males and when they are together, they fight like crazy. After the babies were weaned and we sexed them, we put the granny up there and she was snappy at first but now they are all buddies. Enjoy your piggies!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I was very proud I made the c&c myself. I found a sign shop that sold me a full sheet in orange for $14 and we already had a large amount of cubes, zip ties, and the rest so I made a 2 by 5 cube 1 lvl and have enough plast left to do a loft later if I get motivated. Next step is to gather fleece and towels up so we can switch them to cloth bedding. The one we adopted off craigs list they where not using any bedding at all. She goes to the vet tomarrow. I am nervous between the cage conditions and putting her in those balls I will be amazed if she does not need a bit of work done.
    Alanaplus3

Comment by Alanaplus3 (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010