Is it true about breastfeeding?

I read that breastfeeding can keep weight on you..but everyone raves including myself how it can help with weight loss. What have you heard?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally, with my first I tried breastfeeding and it didn't work out and it was REALLY hard to lose the weight I had gained. It took me a long time. With my second, she's breastfeeding like a champ and within the first few months I dropped ALL my pregnancy weight without doing anything at all (no exercise, no dieting obviously).

So for me, it's definitely true!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Breastfeeding burns more calories than not breatfeeding. Often that means losing weight. It also causes your uterus to contract, meaning it will go back to normal size sooner...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 9:46 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Never heard it keeps weigh on you. You burn so many more calories making the milk. Now if you are eating a ton more than you should then you would gain weight, BF or not.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I lost the weight super fast while bf. I agree with 2BlondeBabies. Sometimes people eat more than they should be and when the weight comes on they look for a scapegoat lol.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:49 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have heard about the weight loss, but only if you do not suppliment the calories you lose while BF.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 9:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think it's different for every woman - for myself, I had gained almost 40 lbs while pregnant, lost 32 of it within 5 weeks after I had my daughter. Now I'm still hanging onto about 5 extra pounds, despite exercising and eating well.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:46 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I've heard both- some women swear that they never lost all their baby weight until after they stopped b.f. (maybe b/c their boobs were still huge or something?) and others that lost a tons of weight b.f.
    Again it comes back to, every woman is different :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:46 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I've heard it helps with weight loss. It helped me.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 9:49 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I guess not so much it keeps the weight on you but that it stores extra fat because it takes so much fat for your milk. Not sure LOL
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• everytime someone would ask if i was nursing i would say yes an they would be like no wonder you look so good. but honestly i have no idea
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 16, 2010