How do you handle when someone swears in public in front of your children? adult content

I alway want to say something, but I usually don't. A few years ago, I was going to home depot and had my then 3 year old son with me. I had pulled into a parking spot and was about ready to get my son out of his car seat when there was a verbal altercation between two other people ,a man and a woman in two different cars. I guess they were arguing about the parking space. They began swearing at each other, so I stood there next to the car door and waited as I did not want to get my son out of the vehicle and right into this heat arguement. Finally, the man looked at me and said "What the f*¢k is your problem" I stated that my three year old was in the car and I was waiting for them to be done swearing at each other before I got him out. The woman apologized and stopped arguing, the man just drove away. When I was walking into the store, the man drove around and yelled "F*¢K YOU, BITCH" right in front of my son.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Continued
    I am now hesitant to say anything to people for swearing in public, but I'm afraid that a repeat of this incident will happen again. But do I really need to over hear people talking loudly to each other using profanity? What do you do?
    layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I swear in front of my kids... How could I get upset when someone else does? I have never understood the idea of "bad words" they are just words... If someone was smackin someone else around, I would get upset, but just swearing... Why?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:31 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• People have no respect. I usually just try to go the other direction.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• This is something beyond your control, just as long as your kids know not to repeat, it doesn't bother me. You can't shield your kids from the world and things that happen, you can only educate them to be better than most.

Answer by older at 10:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Depending on where we are. In a park yes, any kids place yes.

Home depot-no just tell your kid that was not nice. Any other place no.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My son is autistic and repeats what he hears. I'm sorry if I don't think if it's ok for my son to be saying F*¢k you Bitch to other people.
    layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• In a park, I am polite but say:

Excuse me, we have too many kids in hear, that is not polite. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Well we are miltary, and needless to say there is alot of swearing! If it is a childrens event, then I will say something, but if my kids are at a military event, and soldiers are swearing, I just tell them not to! Freedom of speech is important, and me and my husband curse sometimes, but My children know not to! Where would we draw the line, if people could not curse in public? Teach your children well,and you have nothing to worry about!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have gotten after teenagers for bad language around my son, but adults I usually just give a dirty look.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't have said anything in that case, I would have gotten in the car and drove to a new stop or did what you did. You never know what people will do. .

Now if my husband was there it would be a different story, I have said "langue" to people and they get the point and are for the most part very sorry about it. (but its not been when two prople are fighting)
    littlefee89

Answer by littlefee89 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 16, 2010