Does your husband work too much?

If it meant downsizing quite a bit so he would be home more, would you do it?

My husband has worked a very demanding sales job for many years and we are all so tired of it. I told him I would be thrilled to death if he got a "normal" job and we sold our home and downsized so we could have more quality time together. Not that we live in an extravagant way to begin with, but I would be fine with having less if it meant having more of him.

KTMOM

Asked by KTMOM at 10:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• He works 10 hours a day (sometimes more) 6 days a week. Except for Sunday my son sees him about an hour a day, there has been days where he didn't get o see him at all. But there really is no downsizing for us, we live in the cheapest apartments very frugal with food and needs, have the cheapest car insurance and no car payment. The only thing we could cutback on would be cable/internet but that is mainly him that wants it to stay on plus i will be starting school in the fall and will need.. I can't wait until i get a degree so he can get a job with better hours.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• He did when he was younger, now he is more relaxed and comes home before 3 everyday.

Answer by older at 10:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would definitely downsize so that my DH was home more, but right now he only works 8-5 and he comes home for lunch, so I get enough time with him :)
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 10:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• we are military, and my husband works from 4 am to 4 pm 5 days a week, and 24 hour staff duty if needed! Some husbands work for a year straight to support their families and our country while over seas! I am proud of my hubby, and blessed that he does work so hard! So are you! He spends every moment not at work with us and I cannot ask for more!!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• YES! He works 2 jobs. He is a tattoo artist and he works at a pharmacy. Right now I am looking for a job so that we can send my son to Montessori School, I'm hoping that if I can get something good enough SO will be able to quit job #2. And that will give us more time together. As for downsizing, we live in a 2 bedroom apartment, its in a nice neighborhood and all but I would not be willing to move somewhere cheap because I feel anything less would not be acceptable for my son.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• When he was a manager he did. I told him then he would just work a normal job. He was salaried so his pay per hour wasn't much more. He would get calls during dinner, people always calling to try to get a job, just insanity. Now of course my husband is usually fishing on his days off but it is nice that he has real friends too.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Sure does......he delivers milk and he starts at midnight and doesn't come home till any time between 12 & 5 in the afternoon. When he does get home he's tired and normally goes right back to bed :( But he has off every weekend so that's when we have our family time :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Unfortunately, even "normal" jobs often end up like this IF the person is a dedicated hard working Type A personality.

The majority of my coworkers seem to have no problem coming in at 9 and leaving at 4:30 and taking an hour lunch in the middle of that. Yet, for me, no matter how early I come in, I'm rarely out of here by 6, take no lunch, and bust my butt all day. Other people consider me the "go to gal" because if I say I'll get something done, they know I will and it will be done right. Most of my other coworkers have no problem going past a deadlne and just checking out at 4:30/5.

Last week, I ended up working 2 24 hours shifts, 2 12 hour shifts and another regular 8 hour day. Yes, we had some issues, and yes, I was on call, but somehow...I was the one who ended up staying to fix stuff. That's more on me. Do you think your husband CAN back off?

BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 10:57 AM on Jul. 16, 2010