Have you been on Unemployment & If so how did you make it until you found another job?

My hubby has been on unemployment for 3months now, we can't find any jobs where we live it's all Mining jobs. I don't know, I've been really down lately. It looks like we're going to have to move for him to find a job in the Computer field.. We're barely scraping by, I just feel really overwhelmed sometimes. We have no Family to help us even with Babysitting.

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 10:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• My DH was on UEC for 6 months from Nov. til Jun. Then we were cut off. I went and found a min. wage job to help with the bills and he staid home with the kids. Was it perfect? No, but it worked for a while. Check sites like SnagAJob or Craigslist for something near you, even if it's just part time. If you need help with childcare call welfare, they may help with childcare costs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:59 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I was on umemployment for 6 months & have yet to find a job. I'm not longer on UI, I was not able to extend my bebefits because of the lovely republican vote to NOT extend benefits. I feel as if i am utterly screwed. I have a college education & plenty of experience & it just feels like that is not enough. I am still on the job hunt, but so is everyone else. I am now applying for jobs that i am super over qualified to work at, like super markets & retail stores & coffee shops. I have no other choice. What sucks, is that i'm not even getting these crappy jobs.... it's only a matter of time before i become homeless. I cannot move for plenty of reasons, the most important being my DD that i share custody with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• So sorry for your situation girl. My DH got laid of in Jan of 09 with the promise he would get called back by March at the latest. Well March turned into July and July into January. Just when we had almost exhausted all his unemployment and all the government extensions (thank God for those) and we thought we would never hear from his company again he got called back this May. Thankfully, we have a very low house payment, around $400 a month, but we do have 5 kids. I managed to keep my job, but it is very seasonal and in the winter my checks were barely helping us keep in shampoo and tp. I stock up on non parishable food, cans boxes etc. Not the best eating but not going hungry...I also garden in the summer and freeze and can whatever I get my hands on. We pared down our cell plan, our cable plan and did not eat out. We as a family switched houses for card games and food. PM me if you want to chat ♥
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Been there, yes. And it's hard, but unemployment is only intended to help (not do it all) for a limited amount of time (not unlimited).

Maybe moving will be the best thing, if it allows your husband to work in his field. Sorry you're feeling so overwhelmed, hang in there!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 11:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I've been unemployed for 2 years. Somehow, my UI got cut off even though I did not receive my extensions. We are scraping by because I've had to cash in my retirement, which really really really sucks. We also have no family to help. Hubby is working, but it's just not enough. I''m with anon above: college, experience, etc . . . but for whatever reason, not being hired. It's really frustrating.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:22 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• How is he conducting his job search?

There of tons of tips and resources in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 1:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I got on food stamps, and went to food shevles and used my savings to pay the rent.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 1:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010