I want to allow my dog to roam, but don’t want to fence my yard in.

Our family dog loves being outsides, but we don’t have time to watch him constantly. Does anyone know of a wireless or underground dog fence that’s easy to install? I came across Havahart’s radial-shape wireless dog fence and wanted to get some input.
Here’s the wireless fence I’m thinking about getting:
http://www.havahartwireless.com/store/wireless-dog-fence/5134g
Thanks!

reed.janet58

Asked by reed.janet58 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Pets

• I personally do not like the electric fences for the obvious reason that I do not want to shock my dog. The other reasons a lot of people do not think of is that it may keep your dog IN, but it will not keep other dogs (or coyotes, or any other animals in your area that could be carrying disease) OUT of your yard. I am not willing to risk my dog getting hurt or killed because of another animal or because of running through the barrier one day. it happens all the time unfortunately. Nothing beats a normal material fence and supervision.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Do you have a big tree or a pole in your yard? If so what about putting a leash out there around them that way he can roam and you can take care of things in the house?
    branmomma32

Answer by branmomma32 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We have the PetSafe underground fence. I have a lab and it was very easy to train him.

That said, an electric fence may keep your dog IN but it doesn't keep other dogs or people OUT so supervision is still wise. Our next door neighbor has the radio fence (like what you mentioned in your first post) and it works well for their dog. BUT, one of the other neighbor's dogs (a terrorist dog, I swear), went into the next door neighbor's yard, provoked the neighbor's dog and was attacked. That same dog has come into our yard (while I was standing right there) and run up to my dog and bitten him! (kind of "funny" though because mine is a 95lb lab and the terrorist is a Jack Russell)

I think the underground fences can give people a bit of a false sense of security.

Lastly, if your dog is tall, be aware that with the underground fence you have to account for a perimeter not just laterally but horizontally.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 11:20 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• my folks have neighbors accross the street that have one. they train the dogs and it works great until the batteries go dead in their colors. they have had 2 dogs hit by cars(w/ using the electic fence). Another time they watched one of the dogs run head long through it. They dog welped in pain. Someone saw they dog do it and yelled at the dog to go home. That dog ran back through the fence getting shocked once again. I would never trust an underground fence.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Good fences make good neighbors in my OP. I just think if you love your dog, tie him out or get a fence. These ladies make very valid points.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have a fenced yard so I dont have to worry about my dogs ever getting out or anyother dogs coming in with a fenced in yard you don't have to keep peeking your head through the blinds to see how your dog is doing...
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 5:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010