Who has bought a wooden swingset/fort? Any advice?

My husband and I are shopping for a wooden swingset. If we get one from Walmart, we can get one with more slides, swings, a rockwall, etc. But, if we get one from a better quality builder, Rainbow or Ultrabuilt, we won't be able to afford as big of one with as many attachments.

Anyone have experience in this department? Are the Walmart ones good quality? Or would it be better to get one with less bells and wistles from a better builder?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 11:13 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would honestly rethink the walmart you get what you pay for we bought a swingset there and within 5 months it was bent we paid close to $300 for an aluminum one
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The ones we are looking at from Walmart are around $2000 (as opposed to $4000 with the other builders) and are wood. It seems like they may be built out of wood composite (MDF) instead of solid cedar, but MDF is strong. I just was hoping to hear from someone who knew much about the wooden swing sets.
    ThrivingMom

Comment by ThrivingMom (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We have a rainbow and you can't kill this thing. I mean seriously I think our great grandkids will play on it, if I live that long. We couldn't afford a huge one either but as the yrs went by, we added on.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We have one of the wooden swingsets from Wal-Mart. It's nice at first, but the wood that it is built out of is really thin and in a short amount of time bad things started happening. On the upside, the manufacturer has replaced every broken piece at no charge to us, but it's a pain in the butt not having it to play on while you wait for parts to come. Overall, since we only paid like $350 for it 3 years ago.....I guess it's been worth it only because the manufacturer replaces the parts. Ours doesn't have any MDF, it is all real wood.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My husband bought and built the plans from Detailed Play Systems, and he a two of his friends built our kids swingset/fort from scratch!! It's so solid, it's NEVER coming down!! We spent about $1200 for the lumber and hardware, plus about $600 for the slide, handles, rock wall steps, and swings and tire swing from Detailed Play.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2010