Sciatic Nerve is killin me... what to try next?

For at least a week now my lower back, hip and thigh have been in a lot of pain due to sciatica. I went to an urgent care clinic, they gave me a steroid shot and a scrip for Mobic. It's helped very little. At work I'm on a concrete floor walking and lifting 10-30 pound boxes all night. I cant get in to my regular doc for 2 freakin weeks.

I've tried tylenol, advil, heat, cold, and still little or no relief. Does anyone have any other suggestions? If it gets much worse I thought about going to the emergency room, but I don't want them to think I'm coming in for something stupid.

Ugh. HELP!!!

FroggyFeet

Asked by FroggyFeet at 11:13 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Health

• i had when i was about 6-7 months along
    you did not say if you are having because you are pregnant
    but nurse gave me a yogs position to do and it worked for me
    i got on bed, all fours, placed head down, then shoulders down and stuck my buttock up in the air, shoulders taking weight, tryed to relax, be careful not to place to much stress on neck
    i think?? she called at loin something? but do not remember
    i did three times one day for ten minutes each time
    and next day again, i had no nreve pain after that

hope it helps
    feel better
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:17 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have had this same issue and my chiropractor was able to fix it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• read again, assume you are not pregnant but maybe it will relieve some, hope so, back pain sucks !
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I agree with KTMOM! I used to work in Chiropractic care. I've seen it help many people with sciatic nerve problems. Good luck to you. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 11:20 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• you might have to go see a neurologist and surgery or something might have to be done. I have a herniated disc and a pinched nerve with it and I know the pain that you are in. I went away while I was pregnant, but there are times now that I can hardly even stand up without falling over. The pain in overwhelming. I hope you get relief soon!
    branmomma32

Answer by branmomma32 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Not pregnant. I'll try the exercises, can't hurt too much more!
    FroggyFeet

Comment by FroggyFeet (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• my husband has this pain and see's a chirpractor, and he's SO much better -- it did take a while but they have excersizes they could recommend
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• limp your way to the chiropractor!!!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Sweetie, I have been suffering from that for quite some time and honestly the pain is so uncomfortable. Now if the pain gets that bad you might have to because if the pain gets as bad like it does for me you won't even think twice about going to the ER. Now the Dr. put me on a medication called Gabentian (?spelling). Now I take one at bedtime and I do ok the next day. Now what really works most times is I rub on a creme that is called " Pain-Buster II and I buy it at Walgreen or or at some local Pharmacy's. I'm not sure where you live but you can always call Walgreens and ask them if they carry it because here in San Antonio, Tx they do .Now this creme really works but most of the time I do take pain pills and Celebrex, Soma. I hope this helps you some and I hope you can feel relive soon sweetie,Linda
    Montylyn

Answer by Montylyn at 5:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• You can try exercises for sciatica. There is a simple stretch that is very helpful to eliminate sciatic pain:
    1. Lye flat on your back. Once you are on your back, lift your right leg and place it over your left knee (the right ankle resting on the left knee).
    2. Reach through with your right hand in between your legs and hug your left knee.
    3. Take your right hand around the outside of your left knee and hug it. Your palms are now hugging your left knee together.
    4. With both your hands, pull your left knee towards your chest.
    5. Repeat on the other side with your right knee.

You can see a video demonstration for this stretch right here:

http://natural-alternative-therapies.com/sciatica-stretch/
    meitaljames

Answer by meitaljames at 3:28 AM on Jul. 18, 2010