Do you ever really know

what you would do until you are in a situation? I know I like to think that I would not make certain choices, but I also know that given I have not been in some situations that other people I have been in, I do not know what choice I would make. I have seen some women comment that they would never give a child up for adoption, but if you have not ever been in a situation where that needed to be one of your choices, do you really know? The same with abortion. I had always liked to think that I would never have one, until a friend of mine was in a situation that made me think real hard about it and I 'm not sure what I would have done in her shoes. Even something like being a working mother, if you were in a situation where you had to make the choice do you know, i mean really know what choice you would make?

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• some options in life maybe totally against your moral compass and you can say for sure that you could never ever do
    but
    most situations, i think i never know until you are in those shoes
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:41 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It's so easy to say "I'd never do that!" isn't it?

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I know I would never have an abortion. That is something that I personally couldn't cope with. Adoption is a different story, if you were in a situation then that one would be possible. You're right, it just depends on the person and their life and their feelings. I don't judge others on these things, I have friends who've done both. Thanks for the food for thought. :)
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 11:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• an old american indian saying, 'never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins'. too true. walking and talking are two different things, when the poop hits the fan.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:52 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I suppose it depends on the situation. I know for sure I can't carry another child, so I can say for certain that if something horrible happened and I ended up pregnant, I would have to abort. I can say for certain that if my husband cheated on me, I would leave him. I think everyone has a few absolutes, and a lot of other gray areas where they couldn't decide unless they were actually faced with that decision.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I used to be staunchly pro-life. Couldn't understand how anyone in the world could do that.

UNTIL

I found myself in the middle of an unexpected, unplanned pregnancy.

Now I volunteer for Planned Parenthood...and have to suffer the broken promises of a SEMI-open adoption.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I feel you should never say never :) because when you do you are opening yourself up for that never to come and test you :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It seems to come out easy to say I'd never do that...but I really feel until you've been there you just don't know completely. I think some people will stand true to their convictions, however I think its really hard to say "never". I left my family for 8 months for another man because I had a complete mental breakdown - found out I was BiPolar...I use to say how stupid that was leaving for someone else, I had friends that had done...but here I was doing it too myself to my family. I never would have thought I'd leave my children, but I did. My husband said if I ever cheated he'd leave me...guess what its been a year I'm home now with my family, he's still there with me, trying hard to be there for me while I deal with my mental illness. We continue to work our relationship and I'm 100% there for my children again. Neither of us thought we'd do those things, but we have.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• There is really just too much area of gray to make a blanket statement I think. In my case my mental illness change the mind of my husband. In my case it was a complete break down that caused my knee jerk reactions...life is just full of twists and turns.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• No I don't think you can really know how you will respond to something until it happens. Even people who were very certain of how they would react , end up doing something entirely different. Partly because it's hard to know a situation until you are in it,  there could be many extenuating things that you can't consider until you it actually happens.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2010