What does passive-aggressive mean?

I've never quite understood what it actually means.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It means that you express negative feelings or attitudes in a passive way.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• That a person has poor communication skills, lacks the ability to be assertive, holds feelings inside....then something snaps and they communicate by yelling or being angry..
    There is no happy medium, no ability to be assertive. just the ability to be passive and quiet or just really angry
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Wikipedia says this: Passive–aggressive behavior, a personality trait, is passive, sometimes obstructionist resistance to following through with expectations in interpersonal or occupational situations. It is a personality trait marked by a pervasive pattern of negative attitudes and passive, usually disavowed resistance in interpersonal or occupational situations.

It can manifest itself as learned helplessness, procrastination, stubbornness, resentment, sullenness, or deliberate/repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible.

Have a super day!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 11:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• An example would be if your husband does something you don't like, but rather than tell him you have a problem with it you punish him by "forgetting" to put his clothes in the dryer or not doing something that you normally do for him. You never tell him what he did wrong or that it upset you, but you do something to make him pay for it. You avoid a confrontation, but you don't let whatever it was slide.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• http://divorcesupport.about.com/od/abusiverelationships/a/Pass_Agg.htm

one of my passive-agressive behaviors is that when I'm mad, you can't tell unless you know my subtleties such as when my hubby just puts stuff where it doesn't go I hide the stuff! "oh gosh honey, I don't know where that is, where did you leave it?"  Also like when I say "I'm fine" when really I'm pissed.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Exactly what Tweenandtwin mom says.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 2:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2010