My 11 month old...

keeps throwing things in the garbage. I think it's great that she wants to tidy up and throw things away but she's throwing toys in there, not garbage. Lol!!

The other day I went to throw something out and I saw her sippy cup in there. Then later that day I watched her toddle over to the garbage can with Handy Manny's tool box and throw it in there too.

The garbage can is way too big to fit under the sink and I have nowhere else to keep it. How can I dissuade her from throwing things away?

Laila-May

Asked by Laila-May at 11:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get one with a lid and put a strap on it to keep her out of it. You can't really expect her to decipher what goes in there and what doesn't at this age. My 2 year old still throws toys away on occasion. Or...give her a trash can of her own ...decorate with stickers...make it pretty and inspect it thoroughly before it goes to the curb!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• put a toy-box or something next to it and tell her 'this is where toys and all your stuff goes" and show her. once she has mastered putting things in there slowly start moving it away from the trash can and back to her room. my DD did the same thing, drove me nuts but the toy-box (or cardboard box) worked and at 18 months she knows that toys go in her room in the box and cups go in the sink, only "yuckies" go in the trash
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:48 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Could you keep the garbage can up on a counter? One you're not using for food, of course!
    Maybe on top of a chair, but she may pull it off. That would be a mess!
    Maybe get an outside garbage can that has a lid that snaps on. She probably wouldn't be able to get one of those off.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would get another garbage can that fits under the sink. Trash cans are dirty and I would be afraid of the baby getting sick from touching it so much. Its hard to get a little one that age to stop doing something once they like it.
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I give my 11 month old other things to "put away". Either things to put in a basket, cups to stack inside each other, "laundry" to put away, etc. It keeps him pretty busy. I also put our trash can in a more out of the way place so he's less likely to get fixated on it. :)
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2010