to wean from breastmilk to.....? Any tips?

okay so i have been breast feeding for 7 months and now that ds is teehing and biting down on my no longer precious nipples;) it friggin' hurts. so i feel it maybe it's time for him to switch to a bottle and formula/milk, btw i don't plan to pump he has been solely drinking from the breast but he does drink juice from a bottle so he is used to it. my ? is what should i start with? formula or a low fat milk or what? ihave talked to my pediatrician but i like to get more than one opinion. thnx:>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Formula. No cow's milk until AT LEAST 9 mo. and even then...only under the guidance of your pediatrician and baby should be getting some formula until AT LEAST 1 year. Your baby really needs the iron in breast milk during the second 6 mo. of life. Juice out of a bottle can lead to bottle rot mouth...at 7 mo., baby is more than capable of drinking from a sippy cup. Try one with a straw and handles (I like the nuby one)...so they don't have to tip it back. In fact, if baby takes to the sippy cup, you might be able to go straight to a sippy for milk as well (just make sure you thoroughly wash the parts of the cup if you're using it for formula...formula can get gross in a cup quick).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You need to go to formula. regular cow milk does not contain the nutrients that he needs right now. Also, his body isn't mature enough to absorb all of them from the food he eats.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• When my 4yr old was a baby he bit. I had been doing the stern no and placing him on the floor than walking away. I thought I was doing it the right way but I wasn't, he keep biting. In tears I called my mom (who nursed 6 kids) she said I needed to do it differently. She said to make sure to do the no walk away thing EVERY time he bites. I sometimes didn't if he was almost asleep. And don't let the baby see your face when you say no and walk away. Your baby is looking at you for reassurance and to see if they can get away with what they did. After the walk away give it a little time then go back and make up. You can even try nursing again. But if baby bites again that's it for that feeding. My little guy had to learn to fall asleep with rocking not nursing. My mom said it would all be better in a couple sessions. He actually took 2 days. But we did it!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:49 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Just teach him to stop biting. This is just the first in a long line of behavioral challenges... are you going to give up every other time as well instead of teaching him right from wrong?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010