I saw another question which made me think to ask this.

If your diet while breast feeding consist of nothing but junk such as dr. peppers and processed foods would it not be better for your baby to drink formula?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It makes me wonder how babies survive 9 months in a mothers womb who lives in a 3rd world country? I think the baby takes what it needs and nothing more/nothing less.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The short answer to this question is NO – you do not need to maintain a perfect diet in order to provide quality milk for your baby. In fact, research tells us that the quality of a mother’s diet has little influence on her milk. Nature is very forgiving – mother’s milk is designed to provide for and protect baby even in times of hardship and famine. A poor diet is more likely to affect the mother than her breastfed baby. Are healthy eating habits recommended for mom? Absolutely! You will be healthier and feel better if you eat well. It is best for anyone to eat a variety of foods, in close to their naturally-occurring state, but this is not necessary for providing quality milk or for maintaining milk supply. Although it is certainly not recommended, a breastfeeding mother could live on a diet of junk food – mom would not thrive on that diet, but her milk would still meet her baby's needs.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:57 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• here is a great link http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:58 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Your body will still make the perfect nutrition for your baby regardless of diet. If your milk is lacking anything, signals from the baby's saliva will trigger your breasts to make more of what's lacking for the next feeding. They're kind of like short order cooks. MOM will not benefit, as Lynette said since HER body will be robbed of all the nutrients and such that baby is taking.

What is also being misunderstood here is that not every single thing you ingest is passed to baby. Just like the placenta while in utero, the body is good about filtering stuff out before it even reaches your milk. So if mom drinks a Dr. Pepper, most of the caffeine is gone before it even reaches her milk. It's usually trace amounts that are present. Same goes for medications, and junk foods. It would most likely change the taste of mom's milk, not necessarily it's nutritional components.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Mom's milk will almost always be perfect. If she eats junk, baby won't suffer, but mom might.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Possibly. Although, I'm not for sure. I heard if your diet is rich in greasy foods, it actually makes the milk turn yellow! But actually, it'd prolly just be better to change your diet and breastfeed if you're able... because I'm sure that baby wants their mom around for a long time... and eating like that can lead to an early grave.. Just my opinion...
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 11:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• This will be a good arguement. the mother will be ingesting a lot of bad stuff to pass on to her child, but I guess there would still be the good stuff in the breast milk (like to help the immune system) too. It will be interesting to see others responses.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• No matter what you intake the body will filter it out and provide quality milk for the baby. If that weren't I would have been very sick so would my bro. All my mom drinks is pepsi all she eats is junk food, she, smoked, and she drank hard liquor. I'm not saying it is wise just that mother nature has a way of providing nourishment for the baby.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• lol, sounds like a decent question to me ! I'd have to agree !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I agree too!

Answer by older at 9:55 AM on Jul. 17, 2010