Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

would you buy a home w mold in the basement??

We looked at this house that had obviously had the basement flood well it smells way moldy and the carpet is moldy as is a very small portian of the bottom of the sheet rock it's weird because it's only in the living room then down on one part of the hallway leading towards the bedroom..How would you get rid of it and is it expensive to get rid of and how hard is it to kill??? How do you get the smell out? I've read online bleach does nothing but make the mold worse....Has anyone ever had a flood mold issue the water wasn't deep it seeped into the carpet and maybe 1 inch up the bottom of the wall. But again it stinks..

Answer Question
 
chica679

Asked by chica679 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 16 (2,792 Credits)
Answers (18)
  • NO NO NO you have to take everything out and gut the house to get rid of mold.....and i would want to know why the house flooded to begin with? hmmm food for thought
    cara124

    Answer by cara124 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

  • DON'T BUY THIS HOUSE!!!!! Mold is dangerous, the longer it sits there the more the spores mulitiply & infest everything. There is no effective way to remove mold except to replace the carpet, the padding, any flooring underneath if its not concrete, & the walls. It is going to be way expensive & not worth your time. If the heating or cooling system is down there there's a good chance the mold has gotten in it too.
    Nyx7

    Answer by Nyx7 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

  • i agree with cara above.
    2BlondeBabies

    Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

  • To get rid of mold you would need to call in a restoration company and it ain't cheap. Mold, in severe cases, can cause death. Not to mention just the stench! lol ;) I would keep looking, and not buy this particular house. Good luck with the hunt!
    chupachyps

    Answer by chupachyps at 12:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

  • I wouldnt buy it.
    Decker

    Answer by Decker at 12:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

  • I would Not buy a house that had any signs of mold. Mold is very dangerous and as an earlier post stated it Can kill you. Hubby & I bought a house 15yrs. ago, the day after we signed papers it caught fire. We had 2 options, let their insurance company fix the damage or walk away. I wish we would of walked away. The restoration company did a great job of making the place look like new but they never dried out the crawl space and we developed a huge mold problem. I spent a week in ICU, thought i was dying, hubby was in and out of the hospital for months, finally figured out it was our house. The floor in the living room started to sag so we tore up the carpet and was going to replace the joists under the subfloor. When we pulled up the subfloor there was mold at least 2 inches thick on all the joists under our house. We ended up filing bankruptcy because we could not afford to fix the problem.
    oosgrandma

    Answer by oosgrandma at 12:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

  • Sure would not!
    saysha100687

    Answer by saysha100687 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

  • No I would definitely not buy this house. It is going to cost you a ton of money to get rid of that mold. You are going to have to gut the house and replace all the walls and floors.
    slw123

    Answer by slw123 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

  • Don't buy this house
    mamaofficer

    Answer by mamaofficer at 4:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

  • Or a least have therm pay for the people to fix the problem through out the whole house
    mamaofficer

    Answer by mamaofficer at 4:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.