For breastfeeding moms.....

When do you plan to start giving cereal to your little one? Doctors recomment anywhere from 4-6 months but I was thinking about starting at 5 months cause I want her to get the full benifit from exclusively nursing as long as possible. Also after you start cereal how long do you stay on it untill you switch to veggies?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:58 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she seems full from nursing, I wouldn't start solids until you need to. There is really no benefit to solids before 1 year because their bodies cannot properly digest the nutrients. It's more to get used to the textures of solids.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• here is a great link on starting solids w/ the breastfeed baby http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I started my little guy once a day on cereal at 6 months. It was so soupy it was mostly my milk still though.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• 5 mo. is good. You can also pump some breastmilk to mix into the cereal (instead of water) which makes it more nutritious and more familiar to baby. As for introducing new foods...you need to follow the 4 Day Wait Rule to watch for allergies. 4 days on rice, then 4 days on rice, oatmeal, then 4 days on rice, oatmeal, barley, then 4 days on rice, oatmeal, barley and avocado, etc. This is so that if baby has a reaction, you know which food is the culprit. Also...although it is commonly recommended as a first food, Rice isn't really the best first food. While it is a low allergy risk, it isn't all that nutritious and it is a known constipater. Newer studies are showing that Avocado may be the perfect first food. Check out www.wholesoembabyfood.com It is a website about making your own baby food - you might be surprised by some of the information on there.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The rec especially for a bf baby is no earlier than 6 months for digestive reasons. Babies under a year just don't digest solids very well. Cereal is indigestible. It just makes gas and comes out the same way it went in. No need to give it at all. If you wait until the baby can sit unassisted, can bring food to their own mouths, has lost the tongue thrust reflex you don't have to puree things into oblivion. Having the ability to manipulate food with the tongue and bring it back to swallow is also excellent. Having a pincer grip is even better. As baby gets better at picking up food they at the same time develop better solid digestion. Foods like avocado, butternut squash, ripe pear, sweet potato are easy to start with. You don't need to puree or get fancy, just fork mash. Watch the baby for chewing motions and tongue manipulation, if there is too much gagging then waiting is better than liquefying.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would say not to think about solids until at least 6 months, and even then, you could wait longer if you want to. You also don't HAVE to give cereal, you can start with a fruit or veggie, banana, avocado, sweet potato...but personally I would recommend waiting until at least 6 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You'll be surprised at how fast an older baby progresses from soft foods to being able to handle small pieces like peas, cut blueberries, grapes, peaches, kiwi, parsnip etc that they can gum up. My baby is 10 months old with no teeth and we've never given purees. She eats just about anything (except we don't give dairy, meat, or hard things like nuts). We mealshare so whatever i've got that's appropriate she can sample like beans out of my bean burrito, guacamole, three bean chili, hummus, etc. She's had everything from asparagus pieces to broccoli to beets. only foods that come cooked mushed like hummus is served that way. i load a regular spoon and let her have at it or if out i help her guide it to avoid a huge mess.

food before one is for fun and experience, all nutrition comes from bm so its okay if the don't eat much. if allowed to sel feed they regulate on their own.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would say that 5 months is good. My daughter started solids at 5 months because she was small. My doctor had me start solids with my son at 4 months because he's a chunky little man and breastmilk did not fill him up enough. I would talk to your doc and see what he says because every baby is different!
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Some doctors don't make sense--a baby on solids before the can digest it takes in fewer calories . Some babies are small some are chunky, bm is more than enough. Some babies eat more, some eat less. A chunky baby got chunky on bm , so how is that not enough!? A small baby would take in less calories on solids than bm, so how would that help?! Egads!

My baby at 9 months is 17lbs. She is lsmall and ong and lean and energetic and alert. She has more than enough pees, has been mobile since 5 months, is freakishly strong and is outgrowing clothes. She's just not a chubby baby; it'sw not her body type. Not once has my family practioner d.o. told me to fatten her up (i might fire him if he did).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatrics says EXCLUSIVE BREASTFEEDING for the first 6 months, so no solids before then. Tons of great info on this, why it is best etc. at Why Delay Solids

I waited until 6 months for all of my kids (including my DS who was 20 lbs at 5 months old).

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2010