I've fallen in love with a crush i had in highschool. If we get engaged and married I'd have to move to California with my son while his dad stays in Fl. I was looking for some input.

I've fallen in love with someone I went to highschool with and we've talked about getting married. I would have to move to California with my 3 year old but his dad would still be in Florida. I'm checking out the rules of the court so it works out but wanted some input. This move and getting married to this man would do nothing but benefit both my son and I. I only do things on my son's behalf but should I sacrafice our happyness for his dad? This man is stable, owns his own home and just became a VP and partner in an IT company in California. My son talkes to him every day as I do and loved to chat with him. I just don't know if it's the right thing? Either we'd go to california and live happily ever after or stay here and be miserable but he'd see his dad once a week and every other weekend. I'm also from california so my son would get to grow up with my sister's kids which is a bonus.

aidansmom111804

Asked by aidansmom111804 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Relationships

• Sounds like his father isn't such a bad guy. Have you discussed it with him? He might just understand. Its not the ideal situation, but he can still visit a couple times a year. It sucks, but you have to do what's best for you and your son, and what makes you happy.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• it almost sounds like your saying your son is ok with this and i can't imagine how a 3 yrs old would know this. if your going to make the move i would do it the sooner the better. it's harder to make a move when they get older and they are more attached to their dad. my ex moved to texas and my kids are not to happy that they don't get to see him as much but they go out their for extended stays such as all summer long and holidays. i think as long as your son is happy he won't notice much that his daddy isn't around. so i would make the move.your risking though that they will not have a very strong bond or a very strong relationship as he grows but you have this other guy who better be the best new dad ever.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My daughters father lives 1200 miles from her. He lives in Kansas, we live in New Jersey.
    I hate him for living so far from her. She sees him maybe 5 times a year. I always tell him that because he lives so far away that she got screwed and he screwed her. My daughter is 4 years old. You are in a tough place....
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008