What the best age to start giving kids chores?

Cassandre

Asked by Cassandre at 12:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• i say as soon as they understand your words..not necessarly chores, but even a 2yo understands she needs to pick her toys up and put them away. according to age and ability/safety, it would differ.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• as early as poosible
    my three yr old is delayed but i ask her to do stuff for me
    like throw this in the trash please, she is good at that

10 yr old and 14 yr old both are asked to do chores
    we used to pay for special chores done until their grandparents on the exes side gave them money for chores that they WERE going to do, like hundreds of dollars in advance!
    so we do not give any money out now, and tell them chores are for helping out, it is what families do, had to make it a lesson and sense they learned they can get money for nothing (thanks exes parents for that) we had to teach them sometimes you do something for nothing
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• my dd is 20 months old and before she goes to bed every night she has to pick up her toy (i help her of course) But she understands that if she makes a mess she has to clean it up!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 12:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Right from the very beginning, they should be made to feel that they are part of the team! Even when my daughter was very young, she was taught to pick up her toys with me and run a dust rag over the living room tables. As a preschooler, she loved to help set the table, match socks from the clean laundry, and run the vacuum cleaner. She's always been taught that she has a role in the family, that she's not just an invited guest who's entitled to be waited on.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My kids are 5 & 3 and have "chores".. kinda--they have to clean up their toys before going to bed & clean their rooms up.. they also love to help me dust and vacuum.. and do dishes.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My son is almost 2 and has been helping me clean up, throw things in the garbage, etc for months now. I consider that the start of having a concept of chores, since that is keeping things in order.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• as soon as they are old enough to walk.
    they will help you put away toys if you ask them and make it happy and fun.

now my boys are 5 and 4 and they help with pretty much everything. With supervision, they can clean the bathrooms, sort and fold laundry, even do the dishes.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My kids didn't really have chores until about 7, prior to that yes they were responsible for cleaning up after themselves but their chores now include things like washing dishes, cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, picking up after the dogs in addition to cleaning their rooms and things like that.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Depending on their ability you can start as soon as you would like. My little girl has been doing age appropriate chores since she could walk. Like picking up toys, brushing teeth, making her bed, helping me sort laundry, etc. The sooner they understand and have responisibility I think it helps with listening, school, and respect. My DD loves to help, it is fun, and she likes to pitch in and feel like a big girl. Good luck!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 12:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think kids should feel a sense of responsibility for the house cleanliness almost immediately. Obviously specific chores might not work well with a 2 year old, but having toddlers put away their toys before dinner or "help" mommy vacuum is really a good idea (in my mind). I'd say by school-age, kids can handle some very minor chores, even if you have to go over and make sure they're done properly.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 12:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010