Wiccan/Pagan Moms... What do you think about this?

I get a "Daily Devotional" email every day. Sometimes it's just a quote or something but today this is what is said:

"So are you Wiccan or not?I thought I'd touch on a hot button topic today. So many people identify themselves as Wiccan, when in fact that is just not right. Wicca is not about following your heart and creating your own unique spiritual path as you see fit. It is a specific religion with specific beliefs and practices. Just because you read a few books and like the idea of Wicca, doesn't mean you ARE Wiccan. This is like saying your Catholic because you own a rosary but never attend mass and have never been baptized."

While I AGREE with what it says, I was wondering what others thought... Do you agree? or disagree?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• bumping this as I think you have asked some interesting questions.:)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• myself personallyI am not Wiccan, but I like how yoou mention being catholic takes more than a rosary. But then we get into what exactly DOES make you able to claim a particular belief? or can you claim many and be ok with that?because I am....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• In a lot of ways I have to say I agree. I saw a bumper sicker at one time, although it was more of a slam against Christians, it fully applies to use Wiccans as well. It says, if going to Church makes you a Christian, does going to the garage make you a car? Well its one thing to read books on Wicca, even attend a circle or two, but it hardly makes you a Wiccan. Wicca is a specific spiritual path with a lot to learn and unless you are willing to put the time and effort into learning, then you really can't call yourself a Wiccan.                                               

SpiritMoon

Answer by SpiritMoon at 12:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I agree.
    Many people claim to be Wiccan but don't follow the basic traditions of Wicca. Even if someone is Eclectic Wiccan there are still some things that must be followed.
    But i also think that the term Wicca is overused. Many people who are new to the Pagan path don't seem to understand that Wicca and Pagan are not the same thing. Wicca is a part of Paganism but not every Pagan is Wiccan.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I am NOT Wiccan, I do not follow the "rules" of Wicca or share All of the beliefs that Wiccans do. Because of this I have never claimed to be Wiccan, I am however, proud to call myself Pagan and mean it. But this is the reason I use that distinction in referring to my beliefs. Because I have always believed that to call ones self Wiccan without sharing the beliefs and traditions of the Wiccan faith would not only mislead others on what my beliefs are but would add confusion to the title of Wiccan...

I have, however, come across those who believe things other than what is taught by the Wiccan faith and yet use the term Wiccan to describe themselves... Which is why I asked what everyone thought.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Nope, I'm not Wiccan. I am Hellenic Pagan. But truthfully, I do sometimes "borrow" some things from the Wiccan path.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I am an atheist who happens to practice witchcraft. I do observe SOME of the wiccan/pagan sabbats and holidays, but not all. I use moon cycles in my magick. I obey the Wiccan Rede and the Law of Three in my practice. I often identify myself as Wiccan for convenience sake--it's easier than the lengthy explanation as to why I practice witchcraft when I don't believe in any deities. And most people generally have a vague idea of what a wiccan is--tho it does sometimes come with a lot of misconceptions, like that it is just another word for witch. Which it isn't. I understand the concept of the Father God and Mother Goddess and have a lot of respect for it, surprisingly.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• AGREE

That's why I use the word "Wiccish" on occasion.

Because I'm not truly "Wiccan"...it's just one of many paths I borrow from.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Also, Wicca involves such things as initiation and hierarchy...and I want NONE of that!

So while I do cast my Circle...Wiccishly...I don't feel one need to be a 3rd Degree Initiated High Priestess to do so.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Everything Outstandinglove said ...

I am Pagan but not Wiccan. I am a witch but not a Wiccan (another common confusion).
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2010