How do I get rid of mosquitos in my yard?

I swear my yard is swarming with mosquitos. I don't live in a town that regularly sprays for them and I live a couple blocks from a creek. I hate going out in my back yard, becasue I have like 6 of them land on me at one time. Even with bug spray on they still fly around in my face (I'm not going to spray my face with bug repellant). Help!

kicknscreamn222

Asked by kicknscreamn222 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• make sure you have no standing water in your yard itself - buckets, kids toys that might be holding some, etc.

IDK maybe try one of those new personal fan bug repellent things.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yes, remove all standing water including cleaning out your house gutters. People seem to forget that when the gutters are plugged with debris, rain water sits stagnant in them. There must be a water source close besides the creek near you. Although they can travel up to a mile from their breeding ground. They sell "Yard Guard". My Dad used it on the weekends in the yard. You walk the perimeter of the area that you are staying in and it helped back then. Now We just don't go out at dusk and early in the morning when they are the most prevalent. They also sell a bug repellent thing that you clip to your clothes. Try Home Depot or Walmart.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I live in south Texas, and we spray a yard guard on our lawn, up the trees, and even against the house. It helps so much.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Thanks for the tips!
    kicknscreamn222

Comment by kicknscreamn222 (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010