My friend babysat for me; she got a ticket; now am I obligated to pay her ticket plus her fee for babysitting?

I asked my friend if to read the signs on street but she didn't. I did know that as long as she wasn't parked past 9:59 am this morning then she would be fine in timing because it's two hour parking starting at 8 am and I told her this. But I told her she needs to check for any other signs. She didn't and she got a ticket this morning from street sweeper. Her fee for babysitting was $35. The ticket is $49. I told her I would just give her $49 total. I don't personally think I shoild have to give her the sitting fee plus ticket fee because she should have checked signs.When I told her that I would give her the $49 total she said ok and that's it. But I'm worried that this will become bigger. Thoughts please

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 12:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• She's the one that parked there! It's not like you parked her car for her! Why should you pay it? You told her to read the signs and she didn't NOT YOUR FAULT
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• She is accountable for where she decided to park. I don't feel that it is your responsibility to pay her ticket. If she makes something bigger of it, then that would just be ridiculous.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It was her responsibility to park legally. Now if you owed her overtime because you weren't back when you said you would be then I would pay that.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i wouldn't pay at all for the ticket. obeying traffic signs/laws are the responsibility of the driver of a vehicle using the streets. if a pizza delivery guy gets a ticket for speeding while en route to his customer, do you think domino's will pay his ticket?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Of course not! She was responsible for that choice, and she should be the one to pay the consequences.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I don't see how it's your responsibility. She should have been aware of where she parked her car. It's not your fault she got a ticket, even if she was there because of you. I could get towed for illegal parking at some of the places I have to go for work, but it's MY responsibility to make sure I'm following the law. I wouldn't expect my company to pick up the tab just because I was there on business.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 12:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If I were you, I would get to know the parking signs in my area better so you can better prevent things like this in the future. While we don't park on the street, we have a garage, we do know the parking restrictions in our area and where the best spots are to park for when people come over. But that's just my opinion.

As for what to do this time, I am not sure. I would give her the money for the parking ticket and the babysitting fee if she asked for it just because I would feel embarrassed for not knowing my area.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't pay her ticket.. she's the one that parked ther.e
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It's her ticket, not yours.
    my daughter was a passenger in a car, not wearing her seatbelt, car gets pulled over she gets a $110 fine. I felt the driver should pay because he didn't tell her to buckle up but my husband beat me over the head with his theory til I agreed with him.
    Here is his thoughts

The person who's name on the ticket is the one responsable for the ticket...just because someone else's actions or lack of caused the other person to get that ticket...it is irrelavant, the name on the ticket is the one who needs to pay it
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would say it's her responsibility.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2010