for breast feeding moms

i just had a question my son is 1 weeks and he eats like every 2 hr which i know is good but i pumped last night to see how much i am making and one side was producing 1 oz of milk and the other 2 oz is it normal to produce more out of one

klinemom2

Asked by klinemom2 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes it's normal to have more from one side than the other... I bet most women are like that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yes, it is normal. Also, keep in mind that your baby is probably getting more then the pump does. Never use pump output to figure out if baby is getting enough.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I had my little girl June 22nd and I just started pumping last week and the very first time I pumped I just got 1 oz out of one side and half an ounce on the other. That's normal and when you do it more and more you'll get more milk out of you. It's frustrating at first, but it will all work out. Be sure to drink a lot of water - I've been told that helps out a lot.
    I'm into breastfeeding for 3 weeks now and it's going well, just hard to find time to pump and feed. Also, by 2.5 weeks your little one might have constant feedings. I fed Bella for 4 hours straight one day - they call that a growth spurt. It's crazy, but just think of all the calories you're burning :) lol.
    Good luck with everything.
    adyer7

Answer by adyer7 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yup, when I pumped, one breast would pump like 6oz and the other 4oz, The one that pumped the most was the preferred breast my baby always wanted.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• thank you
    klinemom2

Comment by klinemom2 (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You baby will ALWAYS get more then you can pump. Don't judge your production by how much you can or can't pump. I couldn't pump a drop but we have been nursing for over 3 years ( and tandan at that!). By now your production should be leveling out and you won't "feel" as full but you are making as much as your baby needs. you can always boost your suppply but taking fenugeek and blessed thistle and drinking mother milk tea. =)
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I always get more out of my left side. Its weird, but normal.
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My son is 2 weeks old and I am doing the same... 2 oz from one side and 1 oz from other side.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yes, i used to produce 6oz out of one and 2 to 4 out of the other per sassion.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• 100% normal. Just like being right or left handed.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010