Imposing religion on your children?

My DH and I don't really have any strict beliefs. About the only thing we have in common is that we're not Christian. He asked me about what I believe happens after someone dies, and I told him I believe that people are reincarnated into something else.. and that I believe people have a soul. He asked me not to 'impose' this belief on our DD... cuz he didn't agree with it.
How do you go about not imposing a belief? I don't talk about it often unless asked what I believe happens after someone dies... it's not like I've even told anyone that before, but if DD asks... I'm going to tell her what I think, just the same as I told him...

Anyone else have DH's like this? :P

MomtoElliett

Asked by MomtoElliett at 12:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• My dh and I agree that No One person has the answers to the mysteries of the universe. When my kids were little, I read and told them all kinds of myths and stories and encouraged them to write their own creation myths. When they asked me why this or why that? I asked them what they thought. My kids have grown up as Freethinkers.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 10:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• There's a difference between imposing and explaining and you need to get him to understand that. It was already established in a question the other day that some people insist it is their child's right to indoctrinate your child - they are going to be exposed no matter what, so you have to be prepared to explain all the other options to them (as well as teach them how to speak up when the "sharing" hits the point of bullying). You can't do that if you refrain from telling them anything.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My DH and I are on the same page spiritually so it isn't a concern. But I think the best thing for you to do is don't mention it until asked. Then when asked present what you think and let DH present what he thinks. In the end, it will be up to your kid to search out and find what they believe. Your kid may come to a completely different point of view.
    collier5

Answer by collier5 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You each can tell your children what you believe. Talk to your husband about sharing all information with your children once they are old enough. They will ask questions eventually. It will lead to fabulous disscussions about all sorts of beliefs. My DH and I are from different religious backgrounds, explained each to the kids, and when they were older they made their own choices. At some point your children may want to join a religion or they might agree with your beliefs or your DH's. Some of our immediate family changed religion, or got into religion, once they were in college, married, etc.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I don't impose my beliefs on my children. I expose them to numerous beliefs and let them decide. They have NO CLUE what I believe. I don't want them to know until they are old enough to ask. Until then I just keep telling them that different people believe different things. So if death comes up explain the different views on death and don't put emphasis on your's. Not hard really.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You don't can't impose your believes on anyone, but you can expose them to yours.

Answer by older at 5:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I don't impose my beliefs on my children at all. If and when they have questions I will answer then and explain that MY beliefs are "such and such" but I also explain to them that their daddy has other beliefs (he's Christian) and that it's really up to them what they decide to believe. We are exposing our children to a number of religious beliefs through the stories and myths of those belief systems but we aren't teaching them anything about the beliefs themselves. This way they have the opportunity to decide what they think is the right path without us deciding which is the right one for them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My husband and I are on the same page, That our children should be raised to love the Lord with all their heart, and without Christ there is no other way.

God calls us parents to teach them, bind them, and live them in our own lives his law and word) so that our children may see the fruit and live in the same light and direction as we do.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 8:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Theres a difference between explaining your beliefs and imposing them. I don't beleive any one should impose their beliefs on some one else. Beliefs are personal. It sounds more like you were answering his question and he got to sensitive.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2010