Potty training a boy: what's going on here?

My son will be 3 in August. We didn't previously push potty training, but did introduce the potty by around age 2. His twin sister potty trained herself several months ago, but we've been waiting for him to be ready. We decided this week it was time to jump into training, so I put him in underwear during the day and diapers at night. Here's how it's going:

Day 1: he sat on the potty frequently, never did anything on the potty, and usually wet himself a few minutes after getting off.

Day 2: he sat on the potty frequently, never did anything on the potty, and only wet one pair of underwear.

Day 3: he sat on the potty frequently never did anything in the potty, and kept his underwear dry all day. He held it ALL DAY waiting for his bedtime diaper.

I can't imagine holding it in all day is good. How should I proceed?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• reward charts work sometimes! I made my own. My son loves trains so the best I could (lol), I made some train cars and an engine and some tracks. Every time he peed I let him put a sticker on the chart. He ended up putting the sticker wherever, especially his potty or the wall. Potty dvd's and books are also fun! My son loves bigger kids, so watching them talk about potty training on videos or from book pictures made him excited to learn. He also answers their questions and learned how to sign for potty. Are you offering him a ton of water? He cant hold it in forever! Hopefully he will stop this because it could lead to a uti. GL!!!!!!!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• make it fun for him. This may sound silly but it worked for us to get started... put a cherrio or any other floating small cereal and let him try and pee on it. let him stand if he can reach. It's fun for them. We live in the country so we've let him pee off the back pourch. Not sure if you have the same opportunity. But it defintly cant be good for him to hold it all day. hope this helps. :O)
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 1:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My son turns 3 in Nov... I am in the same boat, however I am going to attempt the underpants in august, we already tried it once and he just wet himself then felt bad about it so I assumed he wasn't ready.. now he says NO, he doesn't awnt to go on the potty, then poops and needs me to change him instantly.. we have used M & M's and special "potty suckers" and stickers but he could really honestly care less... we have vacation a week in August and I think that's when we will underpants try again.. you got me.. good luck!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Let him run around naked in the back yard. After he pees once by accident outside, he will be astounded! My son thought it was hilarious that pee was spraying out. My daughter was holding it like your son, but I think she was more comfortable using a little plastic potty than trying the big potty even with a small seat on it. We set it up in our living room where she likes to play.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Thanks for all the ideas and support! On Saturday he finally peed on the potty Saturday morning. It was actually an accident at first - he tooted and accidentally started peeing when he was laughing. I got really excited and told him he was doing it and asked him if he could do it some more. We made a big deal about it - high fives, Yay!, a sticker, and called Daddy who wasn't home. He had 3 or 4 successful attempts on Sunday, and so far 2 today! I think we are on the right track now that he has figured out how to let it out.

TweenAndTwinMom

Comment by TweenAndTwinMom (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Jul. 19, 2010