Why did SHE only get 5 years? and how could he think he wasn't harming the US?

WASHINGTON – A federal judge on Friday sentenced a former State Department worker who is the great grandson of Alexander Graham Bell to life in prison without possibility of parole for spying for Cuba and sentenced the man's wife to more than 5 years behind bars for helping her husband steal U.S. secrets.

U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton said Kendall and Gwendolyn Myers betrayed the United States for three decades and should receive heavy punishment for having done so.

In a 10-minute explanation to the judge of his conduct, Kendall Myers said his goal was to pass along information about U.S. policies toward Cuba, a nation that he said feared the United States because of its opposition to the Cuban government.

Kendall Myers, 73, said he stole secrets with no intent to harm the United States.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_us_cuba_spy_sentencing

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The judge is making an example of the main spy. If the wife agreed to a plea of some sort (I am completely unfamiliar with this specific item), that could have been part of the reason for the much lighter sentence. But a life sentence at 73--he will be dead by 80 having only served 2 years more than his wife.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Maybe because she didn't have such an active role in it. She just helped.
    Maybe the judge liked her excuse better.
    I really have no idea. But she should have gotten a lot more than just 5 years! That is absurd!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have heard about this case, but I don't know any details of it. But I do feel that being involved in it with her husband, she should have received a much harsher sentence than the one she got. That just is not right, on any level! 2 people doing the same thing. One gets 5 yrs, the other gets life???? Sorry, something is way wrong, here.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

In th earticle it said that she helped him steal secrets...I think they should have gotten the same

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010