Did you teach your child to swim?

I think it's important that children know how to swim. It takes time for them to get used to all the steps necessary to learn how to swim properly.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes! I taught them myself. They have been swimming independently of me and without any flotation devices since they were about 4 years old--they're 6 and 8 now. They know their abilities and understand the inherent dangers of the water and different environments (lakes, rivers, ocean, pools) and respect it. They have the natural instinct to seek safety--and do not panic.

I was a competitive swimmer for over 20 years, as well as lifeguard and swim instructor in many different environments. It was important that our children at MINIMUM be water safe--as my husband and I enjoy a variety of water sports, and it's something that we will be doing on family vacations.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yep. I agree with you completely. I think that it is so important that kids know how to swim.
    mama10johnsons

Answer by mama10johnsons at 1:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We live on the banks of the St. Clair River .. it's always been important to me for Julita to know how to swim. She started swimming lessons at age 3. Prior to that, we spent time playing in the water together.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We are swimmers, but we took them to our town's free swimming lessons and then built on that. Took them to a couple of baby classes too, but then waited until they were older for lessons. We had a pool by then too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My son was able to swim by the time he was 2. Now, he is 10 and probably, in all truthfulness, a much better swimmer than me!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• No, but a friend of mine was on the swim team for 10 years so she's going to teach them. She was going to this Summer, but her and her husband just bought a house so they've been busy re-modeling. Maybe next summer.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My kids take swim lessons three times a week. We don't have a pool, but I think it's a good idea for them to know how.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I agree that it is very important for children to learn how to swim! It was even more important to me because we live near a beach and we have a swimming pool. I would be a wreck every minute of the day if my kids couldn't swim.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have taken my dd to swim lessons for the last 3 yrs I really, really regret not doing my older kids who are 32 and 30 they should of had the same oportunity but didn't
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I take them swimming but I am not much of a teacher. I get pissed too easy. They are learning on their own. They can both swim underwater but cannot get their heads back above the water. We are working on that!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2010