Words

Why are curse words considered curse words? Why are they so horrible for kids to repeat? Why have we given 4 letter words such power?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 1:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Its just how it is..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Society determines these things. Different societies accept different things, but certain words are pretty much universally negative.
    Anonymous

• There are taboo words and gestures in every society. I understand that it is society that makes these words taboo, but as SuperrrMommyy said It's just how it is.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Language is an indicator of your knowledge and education. We teach our kids not to use foul language because we want them to have the advantage of going into a situation and not immediately be written off as an imbecile - same reason we teach them not to run around holding their groin or picking their nose. The same holds true for adults - there are levels of acceptable language - cursing, slang, general expressions. You don't walk into a job interview and say "S'up asshole?" and expect to get the job, even though that may the standard greeting you have for your older brother.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• lmao...S'up asshole? lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Not sure, but they sounds just terrible coming out of a little kids mouth.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have no idea. I have never understood it myself. However, because people tend to think they are so horrid I do explain to my kids that those are "grown up" words and I told them they shouldn't use them until they are older... I see no point in making a word "bad" it's made up of the same letters as any other and has the same meaning as other non-bad words... I mean really, what's the diff between ass and butt? Nothing. So why is it wrong to say ass? I don't get it. Never have!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I agree with NP. Cursing has it's place, and I use it myself occasionally. However, it often indicates a poor vocabulary and frequently sounds uneducated and ignorant. It makes sense for children to learn a more acceptable, educated manner to express themselves.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I agree with sabrina I never got it. I do try and teach my kids not to use those but it's hard since it's dh first language apparently. I worry more about courtesy, name calling, and being rude to others then the words they use in a sentence. I do agree for some people they use them do to not knowing any other words my dh for instance.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Words don't offend me unless they are meant to, but all you need to do is explain why they are inappropriate at times. You are right too much power is given to them!

Answer by older at 1:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010