what's a good age to start a baby on jar meats?

My daughter is nine months so I'm just curious.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ewww, never.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• NONE! Have you tried that crap! I don't see why they even sell it! If you won't eat it then you shouldn't feed it to your LO.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I didn't bother with those. They are gross! I just waited until they had a few teeth and squished up whatever meat I was eating. LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• NEVER! That is nasty stuff...My dd was eating meats that i cooked at about 9 months, I just minced it.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I agree... never! They taste, look and smell like cat food! You could try boiling up some of your own meat and puree it... I made my son chicken, apple, sweet potato and he LOVED it. Otherwise wait until your baby knows how to chew (doesn't need any teeth) and do tiny pieces of soft meat.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I only gave it to son a couple of times, but his doctor told me that it was fine starting at 8 or 9 months. I just started giving my son tiny, tender pieces of meat.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I got a ton of it free from WIC and it all went to the food bank. That stuff is gross! Just give your baby small pieces of meat you are eating (chicken breast and ground beef are really easy) just break off a soft pea sized amount and put it in baby's mouth or on their tray.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The AAP says that pureed meats are ok as first foods because the iron is easier to digest than the iron in cereal but it really is nasty. I would wait for teeth and just give diced plain meats.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Never. If I wouldn't eat it, I'm not expecting my baby to eat it and that stuff looks disgusting. We started giving her small pieces of meat from our plates around 9 months.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My pedi had me start them at 4 months after he had all the jar veggies that stage 1 makes..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2010