Breastfeeding and period..

I just got my period today after 5 months of breastfeeding. Does this mean that my milk will dry up soon? Can I still breastfeeding my baby? Ever since I went back to work a month ago, I've been spotting here and there. I tried to pump as often as I could at work, but still got my period early. Is it normal to breastfeed and have period at the same time?

MMAK

Asked by MMAK at 1:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's okay! my mom got her period back w/ all 6 of her kids at 6wks post pardom. And she breastfeed us all. Here is a link to help you out http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/menstruation.html
    The return of menstruation does not mean the end of breastfeeding. The milk does not sour or "go bad" when you are having a period. The milk is no less nutritious when you are menstruating than when you are not. Some women do notice a temporary drop in milk supply in the days just prior to a period and for a few days into one. This is due to hormonal fluctuations. Once the period begins and hormone levels begin to return to normal, the milk supply will boost back up again. Most babies can compensate well for this temporary drop in supply with more frequent nursing.
    For more info do some searches on kellymom.com. Don't stress!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• No it just happens I had my period while I breastfed my son and it never dried up or slowed down.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It is normal to have a drop in supply in the few days before your period due to the hormonal changes, but don't worry, it is temporary! Usually a few days of extra nursing/pumping and you will be right back up to where you were before.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It DOES NOT mean drying up. Periods can return at ANY time. You MAY see a supply drop...it's NOT permanent. Carry on as usual! 100 percent NORMAL!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have been breastfeeding for 6 months and had periods since the first month up until I started birth control. Having periods doesn't necessarily mean you aren't still producing.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I've had regular periods since 6 weeks post partum and I still produce plenty of milk. The return of your menstrual cycle does not mean the end of breastfeeding.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 2:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I got mine back the day my son turned 6 months. My period did have an impact on my supply for the week of my cycle... my supply would drop in half! I used the supplement "more milk plus" to help with that... but after my period was done my supply would return to normal. During my period I had to supplement my son with frozen expressed milk and formula until it was over.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010