What would you say to a Government Mandated Obesity Rating for Every American?

Section 3001 of the stimulus law says: "The National Coordinator shall, in consultation with other appropriate Federal agencies (including the National Institute of Standards and Technology), update the Federal Health IT Strategic Plan (developed as of June 3, 2008) to include specific objectives, milestones, and metrics with respect to the following: (i) The electronic exchange and use of health information and the enterprise integration of such information.‘‘(ii) The utilization of an electronic health record for each person in the United States by 2014."

There are reports that HHS Sebelius issued a regulation--developed by Dr. David Blumenthal--that requires that all EHRs keep track of a person’s Body Mass Index (BMI) score.
~~~~~
Do you agree with this?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Someone who is NOT bothered by this is just not thinking it through.
    I woud have no problem with the AMA setting an obesity standard for health practitioners to watch when treating patients.
    But a gov't bureaucrat does nothing except enforce regulations by imposing fines or denying rights.
    Think about that.
    Doctors & hospitals already watch out for patients' welfare (not operating if a person is too obese to survive the operation, for example) But that's INDIVIDUAL.
    If the gov't is charged to "do something" about children being obese ... what could they do? Fine the parents? Remove the child from the parents' custody for a new form of child abuse?
    If an obesity standard is given to gov't to "enforce" ... AND the gov't becomes our source for paying for our health care, then connect the dots. Medicare and Medicaid already have MANY excuses to deny treatment.
    Could gov't restrict food stamps? Force enrollmt in fat loss?
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Of course I don't agree with it, and this is just one of the many reasons why I won;t support ObamaCare, but I can see WHY it would be necessary--if the government is going to be responsible for your health care, they're going to demand certain information...you know, so they can PRIORITIZE who actually gets care/treatments and when!!!

Where is Crissy with her "I told you so" graphic?!?! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• HELL, NO, I do NOT agree with this!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I wanna know why the government thinks it needs to know so much about my health. It's MY choice, it's MY children, it's MY family, and MY life. And i am NOT "THEIR" citizen.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• BMI isn't even a real measure of anything. The only entities that acknowledge it are hack diet scams.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• And it's well known that the majority of athletes are considered "overweight" to "obese" according to the BMI charts--even when their BMI is less than 10%!!! It's because muscle mass is denser/heavier than fat, and BMI doesn't take into account the weight of an athlete compared to the weight of the average/sedentary person. BMI charts are about as accurate as height/weight charts...they don not account for variances in body type, bone density/size, and muscle mass.

But, that's what happens when you encourage mediocrity and the idea that everyone is the same and equal--that no one should be more successful than another person, and that the "overachievers" should be reduced to the least common denominator! *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think it wrong, even for children. Some kids are a little pudgy until they hit puberty. Some have a very high metabolism. Some will sneak snacks at their friends houses, or even at their own home! If we mandate this for children, then we are going down the road of trying to tell the parents HOW to parent their child(ren) and that is NOT ok with me.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Exactly what lorikeet said and I hope there are not some here complaining about this that also loved the idea of the healthcare bill.This is what you begged for live with it..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Why for kids? NO, NOT FOR ANYONE! Of course many of us knew this would happen. Many will continue to
    be oblivious to the facts of what this administration is doing,
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I can't believe that everyone is so paranoid about having their weight ---BMI---and medical history in a computer.

Thanks for demonstrating you don't even understand what the BMI is.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2010