What is the best way to clean dirty walls?

What is the best way to clean dirty walls. My walls are painted. I think most of the dirt is just oils from hands and marks from things rubbing against the wall.

have2travel

Asked by have2travel at 11:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, or some diluted cleaner in a bucket and use your mop on the wall ;)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Those Mr.Clean Eraser things. I have to use them all the time. I love them, they will get anything off!
    meriahmn

Answer by meriahmn at 11:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is GREAT to use on walls as long as they are not texture. My walls are NOT smooth so the magic eraser shreds and doesn't work as well because of the shredding.

If your walls are texture like mine then a good old fashion scrubbing with a rag and mild dish-washing detergent will do the job. If going the rag and scrubbing method start at the top by the ceiling and work your way down to the floor.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I have a product I swear by, but it's private label and you'd have to buy it from me. My 2nd & 3rd choices are a bucket of hot water & a good squirt of Dawn dish soap (excellent grease cutter!) or a bucket of hot water & PineSol (also good for cutting grease). You can use a rag, sponge, scrub brush, whatever. I don't like the magic erasers on my painted walls, they seem to rub some of the paint off.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Mr. Clean Eraser is awesome!! And then sometimes I follow it up with some windex to make it smell clean. :)
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• For the full wall, I use a cheapo sponge mop and a bucket of Mr. Clean with a little lemon oil mixed in. Which reminds me.....
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2008