• In the Spotlight:

I know IUD is a birth control, but can someone give me specifics as to what it all entails?

My doctor won't do a tubal on me because i'm really not sure if we'll have kids or not in the future...and i'm ok with that....but he said something about an IUD? Can someone tell me about what it is, is it something that's placed inside ? Is it painful? Can you get pregnant on it after it's out? Details please! Thanks!

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The Paragard is copper, there is also the Mirena IUD which is made of thin flexible plastic, and it releases hormones. It basically irritates the lining of the uterus enough that even if you conceive, the egg will not implant. The Copper of the Paragard makes the vaginal secretions not so hospitable to sperm, and the hormones in Mirena are delivered in a slow dose directly to the uterus, once again preventing implantation. Paragard is good for 10 years, Mirena for 5. I've had both, and I personally don't care for Mirena. Insertion is quick, and while not painless, it isn't extremely painful either. You'll feel some uterine cramps, but if you've experienced labor contractions, it's nothing in comparison.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• its a copper "t" shaped device they insert into your uterus (pretty painlessly) that shocks the body into not accepting a pregnancy. they can have hormones or be without depending on the kind and last anywhere from 5-10 years but can be removed at anytime. They have side effects so you may want to google it.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• ve got iud its a little painfil wen they put it in but ve had no problem ve had my in for six months its safe and yes u should be able to get pregnant wen you have it took out
    marie511

Answer by marie511 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• copper?! seriously?
    CAGirl4

Comment by CAGirl4 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Thanks for the help! All i've ever taken is the pill so this is kinda new for me! lol
    CAGirl4

Comment by CAGirl4 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The IUD has been in existence for over 30 years...a few different kinds. And you have never heard of them and you don't know what an IUD is? Have you Goggled it or asked your Doctor to tell you about the IUD?
    Anonymous