I had a c-section 10 days ago and my feet are still really swollen. They only go down briefly when I put them way up. They also have little while spots on them. Shouldn't the swelling be over by now?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like a circulation problem and not just swelling. Make sure your not sitting for LONG periods of time. have someone rub your feet and see if it goes away.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• When you have them up make sure they are higher than your heart if at all possible. Give the Dr a quick call and ask this same question. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yes, I think the swelling should be down by now, did you call your Dr.?
    The best thing for post-partum edema (retaining water/swelling) is to eat watermelon. It is a natural diuretic, but it is good for you and won't be a problem for things like breastfeeding. Eat an ENTIRE watermelon today if you can!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i didnt have spots but i had very swollen feet and ankles that literally felt like they had water floating around in them when i walked and it was painful cause the water felt like it was pulling and weighing my feet down. it didnt end till like 2 weeks or more after the c-section. but i'd say talk to your doctor to be safe.
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• No you could still have swelling..i had swelling until my 5th week..it took forever for all that fluid to leave me! I thought i would die..if you are very worried call ur dr but i can tell you when my fluid started to go i pee'd like every 5 mins..no joke i lost 20lbs a week for three or 4 weeks the dr said it was norm..good luck
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 7:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I just had a c-section the other day and was told it could take up to 2 weeks for the swelling to go down, longer if it was really bad.  It took about 3 weeks after my first son was born because I had retained so much water during the last few months.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:16 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Why did you have the cesarean?
    Was it pre-eclampsia related?
    How is your health / blood pressure now (eclamptic)?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:54 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I have called the Dr. and they said that unless their is swelling in just one foot they are not worried....could take a few weeks :( I have started to pee more lately....so maybe there is hope. To doulala- I had a c-section because of her size....pushing just didn't get her down enough.
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• okay~ well keep us posted with how you're doing. I hope it's all cleared up asap!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010