What kind of stupid doctor allows this?

Okay, I called dh's cousin today after finding out that she was still at home. She is ready to pop. She has been taking pills to stop labor for like a month. They stopped the pills on the 14th of July. (So a few days ago.) She has been in labor ever since. She was at the hospital all day yesterday because she is dilated to a 5. Well, she didn't progress past a five. She is still at a five.

The doctor sent her home. She is dilated to a five and having contractions that are 3-5 minutes apart and has been since Wednesday, and they sent her home.

Is that even legal? What kind of stupid doctor does that?

PhoenixFire

Asked by PhoenixFire at 1:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What? really? She should be in the hospital, at least on a monitor to monitor the babies heart rate and stuff. Being in labor for that long can really take a toll on a baby.Your right...what kind of stupid doctor does that?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Actually sounds like a SMART Doc to me. Why admit her and make her sit there if she's not actively dilating? Obviously both mom and baby are healthy and tolerating the contractions, otherwise she would be admitted. Sounds like she's in prodromal labor, and not active labor. All they're going to end up doing if she's admitted is start the very first of probably many interventions - augmenting her labor with pitocin. Without knowing all the exact details, sounds like the doc is trying to avoid that, which is a smart move. He probably wants this to happen as natural as possible (and by natural I mean let labor take it's course without having to medically alter it).
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'm no dr or nurse, but I am educated on inductions. And it sounds like that letting her progress more naturally before intervening medically may be a good choice in this situation. IF they have checked the strength of her contractions. Did they hook her up to a monitor and check her contraction? I had regular contractions for days, but when they checked the strength they were considered mild. If they checked her contractions and decided she's in early labor and not active labor, then I see nothing wrong with sending her home. If her health is good and the baby is well, why rush things along when she's not full term?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If her labor isn't progressing and her water has not broken, then yes.. They can send her home.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Wouldn'y you rather be at home if you are not ready to deliver? I would. WHy do you call the Doctor stupid? He knows a hell of a lot more than you or anyone here at CM knows,you can be sure.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• hmmm idk but she should ask to stay at the hospital just incase something happens
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 1:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If its been like that for 2 days, as the previous posters have said, she isnt in active labor. I would rather have been at home when i was in labor. I would be nervous about the baby not moving. I wish she lived close to me, cause i have a doppler :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If it's been that way for days, it's prodromal labor, not active labor. Personally, if I was her, I'd rather be at home. It's more comfortable (if you're going natural anyways). Natural labor is not hard on a baby. Induced labor is. They would not have sent her home if baby wasn't doing well. As for the baby not moving, that's a little concerning, and it might be good to go in and get that checked out. But while labor (natural) isn't super hard on a baby, it can be tiring for them. Likely, baby is sleeping.

I was in prodromal labor most of the time for the last 5 weeks of my pregnancy with my daughter. Contractions about 5 to 6 minutes apart. And my water didn't break until the doctor broke it as she was crowning. And she was super healthy. Sounds like her doctor apppreciates that most labors don't follow the textbook course.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• if her water hasn't broken they can send her home. sad but true.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• A really dumb doctor. But she needs to go back to the hospital and tell them she doesn't want that doctor to oversee the birth. See if she can get someone else.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2010