Mom lets 6 year old with Diabetes type 1 get to many lows!

I have custody of my 6 year old grandson. We just took him for his check up with his Diabetes doctor. His mom has had him for two weeks. The doctor checks the diabetes meter for the last two weeks. It was AWFUL!! Lots of lows, I mean lots!
With summer he swims and rides his bike, never stops. Which means you have to check, check, check, blood sugar and give snacks to keep it up. Hopefully now that the doctor saw this she will do better. I am still worried. What would you do?

Janet

Asked by Janet at 1:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I realize that your grandson is only 6, but since mom is obviously being irresponsible, your best bet may be to educate your grandson about how to take of himself & his Diabetes. Get him tools to help him, like a watch that has multiple alarms to remind him to test his blood sugar throughout the day and provide him with a notebook with space for him to write his numbers in for each day. Inside the front cover you can write instructions that tell him what his numbers should be when they are too low, too high and just right and what to do for each instance. The instructions don't have to be complicated, they can be as simple as "get your mother" or "tell mom you need insulin", etc. You can even provide him with small rewards for when he comes home after visiting with his log book properly filled as an incentive to do it.

He needs to learn to be responsible for himself anyway, and this is as good a time as any to teach him.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• How often is the mom around the child? How long has he had diabetes? Could it be that she is not educated on this enough? I would try to find a diabetes education class and mention it to the mom. Offer to go with her.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Mom may not be aware of how serious this is and the risks of letting the sugar levels drop to low or get too high.. I work with alot of pts that are now amputees or blind because of it. They just thought it was a "sugar problem" and doesn't really cause harm.. WRONG!!!! I would get as much info as possible so mom understands this is not good and could cause a coma as well as a whole host of other life long problems.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Mom knows very well how to take care of him. She just wasn't taking proper care of him for those 2 weeks. I found out they had been at her friends house so it sounds like she wasn't doing her job. She usally gets them every other weekend.
    Janet

Comment by Janet (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• How many lows a day are you talking about and how low? If it's that severe then require her to take some classes before she keeps him that long again. I am assuming that she has taken some already. Did you give her an instruction sheet. And a list of what his most common symptoms of highs/lows?
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• She knows full and well how to take care of him. We both took had to take classes when he was diagnosed. He was diagnosed at age 2. She just didn't do it . She had to stand there and face the doctor when she seen all those lows and knew she had him.
    She just had him over the weekend and she did well. I can relax now.
    Janet

Comment by Janet (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010