Am I in the right?

So here's the deal.
My husbands family really hasn't seen or talked to my daughter. After she was born they saw her a few times but then stopped completely. They never call to see how she is, they never call to ask her size and they only see her around holidays.
The last month, my husbands stepmom suddenly called me and wanted to take my 2 year old daughter out to their campground which is 4+ hours away from where we live overnight...I said no. Was I in the right? Not only do I not feel comfortable letting my daughter go with them but I don't want to be that far away from her without a vehicle (my husband works days and he has the only car).

Mrs.Halloween

Asked by Mrs.Halloween at 1:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a similar situation therefore I totally agree. With the lack of interaction between them and your child and the lack of interest they show in getting to know her I would have said no also. That is the kind of thing you work up to...some people don't understand that. Maybe they should start with phone calls and visits to her to allow everyone to become familiar with each other then work on trips with just her then overnight visits. Not only does she not know them but they don't know her. To me common sense should tell them that wouldn't be a comfortable situation.
    TahjsMama27

Answer by TahjsMama27 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You are totaly in the right!
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 1:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You were in the right momma,don't feel bad.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think you are totally in the right!! I wouldn't let my child go either!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i think you are in the right, i wouldnt feel comfortable letting my child be around people she really doesnt know, even if it is family.
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 1:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• They really do not know her at all, I wouldn't want someone who did not know my child to suddenly take them 4 hours away. You are right.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You could all go as a family, maybe, but you were right if your daughter would have been there by herself with them. She should be older and would have to know them better.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think you are in the right too. It would be different if they seen her often and took her over night here and there and stuff...but to your little girl it would be like you letting strangers take her for 4 days! She doesnt know them like that...
    I would have no thanks myself.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Way right~camping is your family thing and she isn't going to start camping with strangers. Is she like a doll that it would be fun to take. They have no idea her of swim skills, tolerance for new things. I have a hard time camping with toddlers in an RV...they dart, get stung for the first time, get over tired, don't sleep, don't eat the same, need to nap somewhere cool.

Neat they want to get involved~but it seems it meet their needs much more than hers.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You're completely in the right. They haven't been involved in years so i wouldn't trust them. Maybe have some visits and have her get to know her family and before the summer is over have them take her to the campground.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2010