If you were forced to eat things you didn't like as a kid....

do you like them now? I always had to eat what was placed in front of me, even if I didn't like it, and now those are some of my favorite foods. I am so happy my parents did that for me, so I do it to my kids. Just curious if anyone had an adverse affect to it?

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 2:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I was always required to have at least 2 bites, whether I thought I liked that food or not. I require my daughter to do the same thing,

As adults, we're responsible for teaching our children good eating habits. It's not reasonable to simply let them eat only what they want.

I'm glad my parents did this for me... I'm glad they cared. And yes, some of these are my favorite foods. Some of them I still don't care for - but that's ok too!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i was forced to eat things the one thing i remember that i always gagged on were butter beans...i've never tried them as an adult.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It wasn't ever done to me and I wouldn't ever do that to my kids.. If they try it and don't like it..then they don't have to eat it..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• yes...hated it..still to this day won't touch them...even started hiding food in the phone cupboard below me and I forgot to take out the chicken livers....my mom stopped after finding that~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I still hate everything I hated as a kid.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 2:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• As a kid I hated most meat but I was still expected to take a few bites.... and now I like most meat. We have the same expectation of my son... he has to at least take 1 bite of everything and try it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• NOPE. I don't "force" my kids but the rule will be they must have 3 bites of everything of their plate before they leave the table so they just don't look at new food and decide they don't like it before not trying it. My parents forced the food in my mouth.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We were never forced to eat anything. If you didn't want to eat it then you didn't eat. So I learned to like everything. Except lamb & liver. YUK!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think it's ok for kids to not eat certain foods. I always make my son try new foods but if he still doesn't like them I don't force him to eat them. Why is it ok for adults to have certain tastes in foods but not kids?
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 2:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I was made to eat stuff like fried green tomatoes and squash and I STILL wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. But I do make my kids try multiple different things and try things they don't think they like at least a few times because taste buds do change. My kids ahve changed their minds on some things (things they originally did and din't like) and some they have kept the same opinion. :)

I have a VERY limited palat so I want them to have a wider variety to choose from than I do.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010