my 21/2 yr old son woke up last night at 10pm with a fever 103

i gave him med and he went to sleep agian at 3:30 his temp was still 103 more medicine..this morning at 9:30 it droped to 102 i gave him a cool bath and more med and it went to 98.9 not even 3 hrs later is 102 agian...im scared

mamamelly9117

Asked by mamamelly9117 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what did the doctor say?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Its still in the safe range,and it has come down a degree. Just watch for lethargy and not wanting to drink. If he's showing signs of dehydration,take him in.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• His fever is nothing to be afraid of. How is he acting otherwise? He might be more tired than normal but if he otherwise look like he doing fine then he's fine. A fever is just the body's way of fighting off infection... it's not harmful. If he's drinking and not having breathing problems then I would just keep an eye on him... the fever might last several days. If it's more than 102 for more than 4 days then I would have him looked at.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Go by how he is acting. If he is complaining of something take him in. Kids get fevers. If he is lethargic take him in immediatly if he is acting okay and drinking just watch him and see what he does. It could be a simple summer virus. Trust yourself as a mom. You know your son, you know know that feeling inside yourself if its something serious. If you feel something is really wrong don't second guess yourself. Go! Take care mom, let us know how he is doing.
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 2:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• ok my son is 2 in a half he had the same thing fever and i took him to doc they told me it was a fever virus and it could last up to weeks wel it did and know he is better. goodluck mama.
    tandie1977

Answer by tandie1977 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I guess it's better to consult a doctor so he would give you the right thing to reduce his fever,, I hope he will feel better soon.
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 2:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It really could be any childhood illness just beginning. Other symptoms will give a better idea of what your child may have caught with a relatively high fever.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• the doctor said he has tonsilitis..(i know spet worng) and he is dehydrated and if he dosnt get better tonite take him to er..so i am pushing the liquids....thanks everyone...ill post and update...
    mamamelly9117

Comment by mamamelly9117 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010