how do you organize you childrens room?

i am currently going thru my kids mound of toys and getting rid of alot. er making them get rid of them. (they are choosing what stays and goes) but i got some color coded tubes for them. pink for my girl and blue for my boy. i would like to get some of those that also slide under the beds. and the little cubbies as well...but how do you organize all those toys? do you put blocks with blocks in its own tub? or do you put on kids toys all in the same tub then the other kids toys in another tub and then have one for shared toys? just curious and needed some new ideas....what works best for you?

sweetestkitten

Asked by sweetestkitten at 2:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We use totes (or tubs as some call them) for different toys. She has one for dress up stuff that has toy dresses, old shoes, fake jewelery, purses, all that in it. Another has her dolls, both baby dolls and barbies and all their assorted crap. Another has the other random toys. And sitting in the corner is the box that the vacuum came in that she claimed and that is filled to the top with her books.
    Every couple months, when they start getting overloaded from Christmas, birthday, and random toys the grandparents give her, we go through them and she picks out some to go. Once a tote gets so full stuff falls out, she pulls some things from that one.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• empty diaper boxes ")
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• totes.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I love the cubbies! I just got the cubby shelf and bought a variation of colored cubbies to go with them and I put all the doll stuff together/barbie stuff, cars, action figures, Mr. Potatoe head, etc.. I love it and it is easy for the kids because I say play with 1 cubby at a time then they just put it all back together before they put it back so it is easy and efficient:)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i have two princess totes that sit right next to her rocker.
    one has her books (the one's she can't tear up)
    the other has all her toys (beads, etc).

we also have this little radio flyer thing that turns from a wagon, stroller (for baby dolls), and a sit-and-ride .. we always have it in the wagon position and we put all of her blocks and her little stuffed animals in it (all her sesame street ones).

She has one of my old purse's that she puts her play cell phones and her play keys in.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 2:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• same with same, just as you described ... in bins kept on an extra bookshelf.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have a dresser in the playroom and a book shelf with a few baskets on it and we have a few bigger tubs.

I sort things by: blocks, dress up clothes, baby doll stuff, barbies. we have a bigger tub of barbie stuff by the barbie house, in the dresser we have 1 drawer for dress up, another for baby doll clothes, blankets, bottles..., On the book shlepf the smaller baskets will hold stuff like doctor kits or misc. toys. I put big stuff like toy trucks just sitting on the shelf.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We use clear totes. I don't have the issue in the room though. Only books are allowed in their room. all other toys are in bins(totes) in the corner of the family room. When they need to go to their room to calm down I want it to be a place to calm down..not an amusement park. I didn't do that with my boiys, and it was a problem. It works much better this way with my grandkids. As for organization. All legos..one bin..all k'nex-one bin. Dress upo-one bin, barbies-in cases, polly pockets-in cases, all games in the game closet in my office. cars-in car cases. I don't allow them to just take out everything. Only 2 bins at once. It makes it easier that they play together always.The other key is they get it out, THEY put stuff back.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We use plastic colored, stacking crates, and I have them cable tied to one another (laying on their sides with the top facing out) in a decorative pattern. Since there are holes on the bottoms of the crates, I was able to screw them securely to their walls, so they are off the floor, and have some of them resting on top of book shelves, and others over their desks. They work great as a place to store stuffed animals, bulky toys, and a few of their favorite books.

I also have open top tubs that are on their own rack--which I drilled a hole into each tub and cable tied to the rack--to prevent them from just dumping the tubs over, and scattering toys and small parts everywhere.

But I do organize by type of toy--blocks, Legos, army men, Lincoln Logs, die cast cars, Tinker Toys, cards, magnets and magnetic letters/shapes, crayons/markers/colored pencils, and miscellaneous into separate tubs (as you can tell I have boys!).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i got a few tubs from walmart they had some good sized ones on sale for 5 bucks each...so i jumped on it and got two for pink for my girl and two blue for my son...now i jsut gotta figure out a sorting process....lol
    sweetestkitten

Comment by sweetestkitten (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010