Is it normal for my one-year old to have multiple screaming meltdowns in a 5 minute period in his highchair?

I have not grown up around alot of babies, and i do not have alot of friends with babies. My son will seem super happy to get the food i put on his tray, like a cup of applesauce and a spoon. He knows how to feed himself and he points the sauce before i even get it to his tray so I know he is excited to eat it! But then he will start eating it and then all of a sudden have a meltdown and start screaming super loud. Then I offer to feed it to him, thinking he is frustrated with feeding himself but he doesnt want that either. Im not sure if this is just a one-year old screaming or if there is more to it? Let me know your experiences with your children! THanks so much! this is always so helpful!

kristen_renee3

Asked by kristen_renee3 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he eat anymore after the meltdown is over? Maybe he just wants out of the highchair.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• YUP My daughter will have a meltdown over anything. My 1 yr old is starting to do the same. The minute he doesnt have anymore food he freaks until he gets more or until we take him out,
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Hmm, maybe he's thirsty? or the food is too hot (obviously not apple sauce)? DD doesn't usually do that, but she gets mad if i;m not watching her eat sometimes, she's proud of herself and wants encouragement...
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 2:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It sounds very normal to me...sounds like he is just being moody. I agree with the other moms so far... too hot ...thirsty...even bored possibly...he can't talk yet so..... all he can do to communicate is cry.....when he learns to talk it will make it a lot easier for you.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• thanks guys! I never even thought about him wanting me to watch him eat i mean once i give him food I usually go over and make myself some and let him eat and occasionaly glance over and tell him I like how he uses his spoon, etc. These were all great advice, thanks!
    kristen_renee3

Comment by kristen_renee3 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You might also star with some sign-language like "more" "all done" and "help". Signs helped us avoid a lot of screaming with our third child. She was so relieved to be able to communicate with us. She wasn't slow in talking or anything, but it fills in the gap between the time when they can "think" all this stuff and when they can actually "say" it.
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2010