Do you think adoption today is about “finding a home for a child who needs one", or, about "finding a child for a couple who wants one?"

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 3:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Adoption

• I think in foster adoption it's more about the first and in DIA it's more about the latter but there can be exceptions for both.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I think it's a mixture of both. The child needs a home, the home needs a child, everyone is happy. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i think it is both.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 3:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I beleive it's a mixture of both.

You have the children that need a family (mother/father)
    and the you have the Family that may not be able to have children, that wants a child.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think its hard to adopt a child after a certain age I was adopted and found out later they forced my mom to keep me in order to get my brother whom she wanted they forced her to take me. In reality she did not want me and showed me with verbal abuse and then I know people who were treated well so adoption is what it is and if your willing to have an older child or a child who just needs a family then I would say adoption is 50/ 50.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Adoption is both. You have a child who needs a permenant loving home and you have a man/woman that wants to have a family. It's a matter of getting the right mix together to make it that loving home when you are talking older children who have already developed their own personalities.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Obviously finding a baby for a couple who wants one otherwise the Adoption Industry wouldn't bother spending millions on advertising for women in crisis pregnancy and use coercive tactics and lies to get them to give up their babies.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Not really both. About the child first. I understand as a mom through adoption the feelings of loss, grief, and just wanting ti be a mom RIGHT NOW! But if a child and the situation surrounding the child are something that you are not the best match for them - well then that child should be in the home of the best fit. Not "it will do" but the best possible placement. In a private adoption the family of orgin gets to decide who is the best fit. While it may or may not work out that it was the best fit- they have the right to choose. So in the end it is about putting yourself out there and placing faith in the idea that you will be matched with the child who's needs you can meet as determined by social services, a birth family.....and of course you have the right to honestly say you can't meet the needs of this family or child.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I think its a little of both however I am leaning more towards the latter
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think it is both. Hopefully it will always entail a couple that wants a child, whether or not that child is a baby or older.
    collier5

Answer by collier5 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2010