Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All I have is my HS Diploma. & I want to work in the medical field.

I've worked several dead end jobs, & I'm tired of getting burned on my arms. I need to get my foot in the door in a medical setting. I am unable to receive any financial aid for school due to the fact that my mom & I aren't exactly on the same book let alone the same page. I'll be 21 this december, but the fafsa requires that I be at least 24. I've been living on my own for the last 2 yrs. Any help, tips or advice?

Answer Question

Asked by babz87 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Are you able to afford at least 1 class at a time?? You could do that until you were "old" enough to get FAFSA help without counting your mother's income.

    Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

  • If you have a child and are living on your own they cannot count your mothers income. I went to school and got fasfa at 21 and was living on my own. I got a lot of help and have many friends who have done it too. I think you are misreading the guidelines.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

  • Have you considered a home based busines that will create your extra income so you are able to follow your dreams. Glad to know you love to help others. I do to. I help those with their health and financial goals. Feel free to check out my home page and watch a few videos and email me or call me for more info. If you get the chance to pick up November's issue of SUCCESS AT HOME magazine, you will see the business I am in featured in the entire magazine. Inside you will see a story of a 19 year old young man who has reached millionair status. Now he has all he wants. So, basically, this business is for everyone from 18-80 years old.

    Answer by BusinessMom123 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

  • Lots of community colleges offer RN -- and you don't have to claim your mothers income unless she claims you as a dependent still. If you go talk to an advisor at school they can let you know what the prerequisites are for the RN, and (as suggested) you could ease into the program taking a class a semester. The community college around here (North Texas) is very affordable. You can also speak with financial aid about scholarships and grants that may include a stipend to help with household expenses while you go to school, being a young(er) mother. Go for it! It will give you an amazing sense of accomplishment - plus the pay is good, high demand and scheduling is often more flexible then most careers.

    Answer by Serafyna at 11:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

  • Yeah, you can't not claim your parents income if you're under 24. There's now ay you can get the info you need from her to get the financial aid? Maybe go to the college and talk to them about all their financial aid options. There are other options than just FAFSA. There are work study programs, student loans, scholarships, once you get into graduate classes, there are assistantships. But if you're looking for free money to go to school, if you can't get the info you need from your mom, you're just going to have to wait 3 more years!! Or go do a bunch of research on scholarships. There are literally millions out there, and some are as simple as having brown hair, or blue eyes, or being a certain major. Good luck!

    Answer by WadeMom313 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.